Windows Update Killed my Mice

So, I've been running a dual boot XP Pro and Vista Ultimate (32 bit) for some time now and, surprisingly, Vista has been relatively hassle free. Until now.

So, I disappeared for a few hours and came back my PC had rebooted. Windows Update decided to install something. When I came back, I no longer had a mouse cursor. So, I unplugged and replugged in my mouse and got a: "windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it. HID-compliant device An error occurred during the installation of the device. The driver installation file for this device is missing a necessary entry. This may be because the INF was written for Windows 95 or later" error.

So, my next step was to try a different mouse; same issue. I reinstalled the drivers for my mouse but that didn't fix any problems either. I then tried to system restore away the last bunch of updates to my computer, but apparently I didn't have any system restore points to do so. Which was weird because I thought Vista automatically set one every time you Windows Updated. I then went into Windows Update to attempt to roll back the last few updates but I had no luck: Windows Update didn't recognize any updates anywhere. Next, I popped in my Windows Vista DVD and booted from it to try and repair my Vista install. It detected no errors and the mouse worked while I was running from the DVD. All of this is going on as my XP partition works perfectly. Do you guys have any ideas? Thanks.

Plug in a PS/2 mouse at the same time and boot. If the PS/2 works, it will be easier to work on. Use the PS/2 to go into device manager and uninstall the USB mouse. Then reinstall the USB mouse and see if that fixes it. Remember PS/2 is not hot pluggable.

I have been experiencing problems along the same lines recently. One night I decided to install some updates to Vista, so I went about it... but when I restarted, Vista was missing a file and wouldn't boot. So then I put in the Vista disc as instructed to do and come to find out my mouse and keyboard don't work. Well finally, I plugged in a PS/2 keyboard and got into the Repair area to do a rollback. Every since then, I have been experiencing a problem where my mouse cursor will freeze and will only un-freeze when I hit a key on the keyboard. Sometimes, I've noticed that the keyboard will even "get stuck" where it repeats a key like thisssssssssssssssssss! So apparently one of the recent updates breaks USB or something of the sort :confused: I've also noticed that when I installed updates... some of them would not install and give me errors. I am currently working on resolving this issue... if I come across anything that might be beneficial, I will surely post it here.

If it is a widespread problem, it might be a good idea to start posting what chipset you have if you are affected. I have an Intel 975x board, and have no issues.

I've solved my problem, and for what it was worth my mobo was an Asus M2N 32-Sli Deluxe. I managed to track the problem down to Windows Update KB938371. Sadly, that update isn't uninstallable. However, with that information at hand I was able to google a work around.

My solution follows: The update threw off the driver install or something like that. I went into device manager and tracked down the HID devices that didn't install properly. From there I was able to update my driver software manually; I pointed the search to C:\windows\winsxs. It found something, brought up a warning saying that this driver hadn't been verified for the OS, but I installed it anyway. Suddenly, I had my mouse back. It was a great feeling.

Last edited:
I've solved my problem, and for what it was worth my mobo was an Asus M2N 32-Sli Deluxe. I managed to track the problem down to Windows Update KB938371. Sadly, that update is uninstallable. However, with that information at hand I was able to google a work around.

My solution follows: The update through off the driver install or something like that. I went into device manager and tracked down the HID devices that didn't install properly. From there I was able to update my driveir software manually; I pointed the search to C:\windows\winsxs. It found something, brought up a warning saying that this driver hadn't been verified for the OS, but I installed it anyway. Suddenly, I had my mouse back. It was a great feeling.

Nice job man. Nothing is more satisfying then actually thinking your way through a diagnostic issue and finding the answer.

Logical thought always beats a typical this product sucks post.:)

Congrats man;)

Any software product that wastes hours of users time fixing bugs sucks.

You are right with certain qualifications. Creative Labs, HP peripherals, Zone Alarm are all among my list of products to avoid.

Nobody makes a perfect OS and nobody makes a perfect computer. That statement is backed by the huge support centers every manufacture is forced to support.:)

Even the OS that controls the human brain can be buggy at times... I get the BSOD alot :(

I just reinstalled Vista and no more mouse keyboard problems here... I am guessing that it was due to a driver error or something of the sort, obviously not my hardware. So I guess I'm good until the next problem :rolleyes:

You are right with certain qualifications. Creative Labs, HP peripherals, Zone Alarm are all among my list of products to avoid.

Nobody makes a perfect OS and nobody makes a perfect computer. That statement is backed by the huge support centers every manufacture is forced to support.:)

I really like my HP 1018 laser printer. One of the best bargains I have ever bought ands the software driver works fine too. Still on the same toner cartridge it came with two years later. Just bought a new toner cartridge last month but still don't need to install it yet.

Vista has caused lots of people issues with mice and keyboards for some reason. Don't know what they did but they messed up something big time. Just yesterday I booted up and Vista didn't recognize my *Microsoft* Comfort Curve 2000 keyboard. Had to reboot for it to be recognized. Had issues with a PS2 KVM on Vista also so had to go buy a new USB KVM. Yep, they changed something in Vista that really messed up input devices for a lot of people.

Vista has caused lots of people issues with mice and keyboards for some reason. Don't know what they did but they messed up something big time.

I agree, I have tried 4 mice in my vista pc and every single one of them suffers from weird movements at times, some times I will try to move the mouse in a certain direction and the cursor will suddenly shoot off in the total opposite direction and into one of the corners, also the cursor shakes about when the mouse isnt even used, no spyware or viri is on the pc, so it cannot be blamed on that.

Nothing wrong with the mice which are a combination of ps2 and usb and they all work fine in XP and all work fine in XP on this particular computer, so it isnt a hardware problem with the motherboard, some deep seated problems in vista regarding mice I think

Back