Windows update fail?

manofmilk

Weaksauce
Anybody else having problems with "Security Update for Windows XP (KB913446)". Tried twice (once in safe mode) but it fails half-way through the download/install. Xp home sp2, all other updates installed, up-to-date antivirus, anti ad/spyware etc System in sig.

Install of that has failed on over 2 dozen computers here at work, all Pro SP2. Dunno.

had the same problem here, downloaded it manually and it worked fine, i dont know what is up with that, glad to know its not just me. The box was XP home for me as well, mabey that has something to do with it?

-Stop the Automatic Update service and BITS service.
-Delete the C:\Windows\Software Deployment directory.
-Start the services.
-Try again

I've had a similar problem with other updates. The root cause was a corupted update in the cache. When you start the update process, it won't download a new update because it already has it, but it can't verify the download because the update is corrupt.

Downloading and installing manually will fix the problem.

Deleting the Software Deployment directory deletes the cache. It will get recreated when you start the Automatic Update service.

pxc said:
But when you have this problem on multiple machines at multiple sites throught the US, Canada and Mexico, you have to find a better solution.

So, what I did was create a command line application that takes care and other issues remotely.

This really takes about 30 seconds to do. I'll give you a minute if you are on a slow PC. The benifit is that you can still use regular Windows update when you are done. I find having to download the update and installing it manual to be jumping through hoops, not stoping a service and hitting the delete but. But, that's just my 1.5 cents...

you mean the Software Distribution Dir? I dont seem to have Software Deployment on my machines, im viewing hidden files too. I ran the patch manually but in the future this could be handy.

MorfiusX said:
not stoping a service and hitting the delete but.
Most of us just have to do it to one system. The link I posted is handy. :p

The Windows Update fix is a several more steps.

Flak Pyro said:
you mean the Software Distribution Dir? I dont seem to have Software Deployment on my machines, im viewing hidden files too. I ran the patch manually but in the future this could be handy.
Yes, sorry about that. I have a directory on our network called Software Deployment. I wasn't thinking clearly.

Back