Windows Terminal Services Licensing Question

I hope one of you has the answer, I've been searching the net, and can't seem to find a definant answer.

We're setting up terminal services at my work - mainly for product demos to demonstrate that our product works over TS (we're a software company). From what I've read, we're gonna need to buy TS client licenses, which is fine. However how do these licenses work? From what I've read, when a computer logs on to TS, it's issued one of our licenses....but then that license is permenantly given to the computer who logged in and it non transferable. Is this true?

I mean, what about people who do outside work for another company for like a week and are issued a license? Does that mean the company has to get a new TS client license every time it outsources work?

Any help is appreciated. We're gonna use windows 2000 server (and I do know about the XP and 2000 PRO license user clause), but our market is probably demonstrating to people who are going to migrate to Windows TS, and probably have a good number of 98 or NT users still (which we need licenses for).

I have a Windows 2000 Advanced server and I think the default allowed with my once key is 5 TS clients.

I am not sure how they work since I never have more than 5 connect to the server at once time so I don't see a need for more.

Sorry I don't have an answer for you but ould also like to know. :D

The number of licenses you have is the MAX number of Simultanious connections (Spelling is proabably screwed up on that) you can have to that server. Really it doesn't matter where from, but in TOTAL it can't go over the number of licenses you have at the same time.

Xipher, are you sure that's for TS CAL licenses? I know the regular CAL's have the per seat/per server setting, but I'm not sure if it works for TS.

CarlosWill - how many different people have logged into your TS, not simultaneously? More than 5 total?

Thanks for the replies guys. What threw me off is the following text found in the help file under "installing client license key packs on a license server".

"Once granted, each client license is permenantlly associated with a particular computer or terminal and cannot be transferred to another device". <---- I took this to mean that once used, a license can never be reused...

Terminal Server licensing has nothing to do with the maximum number of simultaneous connections since the TS Server issues "tokens" to client machines.

Blue Knight said:
I hope one of you has the answer, I've been searching the net, and can't seem to find a definant answer.

We're setting up terminal services at my work - mainly for product demos to demonstrate that our product works over TS (we're a software company). From what I've read, we're gonna need to buy TS client licenses, which is fine. However how do these licenses work? From what I've read, when a computer logs on to TS, it's issued one of our licenses....but then that license is permenantly given to the computer who logged in and it non transferable. Is this true?

This document can explain setup and licensing a bit better for Windows 2003. If your planning on using Windows 2000, checkout this FAQ

In a nutshell, the license can be revoked but cannot be used again for a certain time period, otherwise the issued license will automatically expire and be reissued elsewhere.

Blue Knight said:
I mean, what about people who do outside work for another company for like a week and are issued a license? Does that mean the company has to get a new TS client license every time it outsources work?

Depends on the licensing scheme the business is using, there are "external connector" licenses, but they are expensive to say the least.

Blue Knight said:
Any help is appreciated. We're gonna use windows 2000 server (and I do know about the XP and 2000 PRO license user clause), but our market is probably demonstrating to people who are going to migrate to Windows TS, and probably have a good number of 98 or NT users still (which we need licenses for).

In your case, you'll need Terminal Server Cals to cover anything but 2000 or XP client machines.

Final answer? Call Microsoft Licensing hotline at (800) 426-9400 for a definitive answer to your situation. Feel free to follow up here with any additional questions.

EDIT: If Terminal Server is in Admin mode, your limited to two concurrent connections and the licensing doesn't apply. However, how you use it may or may not be "legal" according to the terms of TS Licensing.

If you are going to be using it for demos only, you could run TS in admin mode. Though, you can only have 2 "admins" logged in at a time.

Blue Knight said:
CarlosWill - how many different people have logged into your TS, not simultaneously? More than 5 total?

Just me from work, school, friends house. Many locations, just once user (ME)

Back