Windows stated resolution doesn't match displayed resolution? Wha?

sharp

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm on a laptop with a native resolution of 1440x900. That's also what Windows shows but it doesn't look right to me. I install Powerstrip. That what it shows I'm running. BUT... It doesn't look right to me.

So I checked it online, and it shows 1152x720 (res, not window : ) This is true with current Chrome, FF, and IE. Hmm. My zoom is set a flat 100%.

- I open up Paint and set a new image to 1280 width. Huh. It fits.
- I open up an image that's 1280 width online. WTF? It doesn't fit.

???

Time to get a laptop that isn't trash?

More seriously, find a newer / different version video driver. Something is clearly wrong.

True words SC. True words.

...but it's paid for and works. That makes it a perfect Netflix/email/browsing machine for the family... made even better if I can figure out what the heck is up with the resolution. So maybe delete the current driver/display and see what happens upon a restart?

I can't wipe it and go with a better OS for about a month, so nobody dies if I can't sort this, it's just the first time I've seen something as weird as this with video. Not showing the right res is one thing. Showing it's running the right res but displaying something else (most of the time anyway) is something else.

Must NSAware. That's what it is.

Yeah, go in to device manager, uninstall and delete driver, reboot, try to find the newest version of the driver (this Intel / AMD integrated or discrete?) and go from there.

What was wrong? *shrugs*

Deleted the display and video device and now it works great.
...so really, do I care what was wrong anymore?
No. No I do not.

Thanks. A mighty 1440x900 is mine once more.

Back