Windows SP2 Firewall Question

Direwolf20

2[H]4U
Ok, heres my question/problem/whatever :).

When I boot up, I get a Windows Security Alert about a program running. Thats not my problem (the program is legit, I just haven't said to ignore this program yet).

The problem is...the firewall is disabled. It was disabled by default (i assumed because I had zonealarm installed...but now I'm not so sure.)

Windows Firewall setting - General Tab - Off (Not Recommended) is set.

Now I went into advanced, and it had "Local Area Connection" checked under "Network Connection Settings". The details there say that that meant that the firewall was enabled for that connection.

So whats the deal? Is my firewall on or off? I want to use ZoneAlarm, and I don't want to two firewalls to conflict with each other. Under "General tab" its set to off, but I'm still getting a security warning for this one program.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance. I wish I could host a screenshot, but I don't have anywhere to do that at the moment.

I think the Windows Firewall automatically disables itself if it detects another, previously installed firewall. If ZoneAlarm is still running and updating, then I'd say your fine. I prefer the SP2 Firewall, because it's fully integrated, easy to use, etc, but that's just my opinion, nothing more.

Have you found that the Windows firewall eats less system resources? I was going to stick with ZoneAlarm because I'd like to know whats going out, just as much as whats coming in, like spyware or some kinda self-propegating virus.

Anyway, any idea why I'm getting Windows Security Alerts when I have the firewall off?

I don't think the security center detects your firewall. Same thing happened with mines. I use Sygate firewall. What I did was I went into the services (You know, where you go to disable messenger) and disable the security center. Worked like a charm. I don't get the security alert anymore and the sygate firewall is doing pretty well.

System Center is worthless if you know anything about computers IMO. Do you really need a balloon reminding you that Norton Antivirus doesn't work with Security Center?

It's nice for the novices, it tells them something's not secure. But for me, I know what's going on in my box, so I always disable SC.

Back