Windows sometimes takes 2-3 minutes to boot

Bop

2[H]4U
I reformatted Windows XP Pro(SP2 slipstream) twice now and this issue is now getting on my nerves. I am using the system in my sig. There really isn't much to tell and I have no clue where to start to find out what the hell is going on, but it seems like it happened after I installed my Athlon64 X2 4400+.

Most of the time it loads after two passes of the loading bar but sometimes it just loads for minutes.

Anyone have some suggestions?

Delete prefetch (done with re-format), defrag (done with re-format), drivers, start-up programs are common causes to slow startups.

You got the first two, now were looking at the third and fourth. Often this is a NIC/DNS issue.

Disable all NICS, test.

Disable startup programs, test. This is less likely because you probably aren't loading much software since you're re-installing.

This issue seems to occur every other restart, I'm trying to run BootVis to see what is taking so long each run. But it seems that after the long boots bootvis doesn't even work...

It never saves the boot activity after a long boot. It saves the boot activity for a short boot however, the other things like CPU activity drops down to 0 for a bit and then spikes back up.

Doesn't seem like a NIC issue here.

Back