Windows Sometimes Doesn't Detect HDD

deadman_uk

[H]ard|Gawd
I run Windows 7x64 on my 120GB Corsair SSD and have my personal files and games on my 3TB Seagate HDD. Occassionally (and this doesn't happen too often) when I boot Windows from a cold boot, the Seagate HDD is not detected by Windows. It doesn't appear in My Computer and shortcuts referring to this drive do not work and have missing icons. When I reboot, the problem still exists, however, if I shut down and then turn back on my PC, all is fine again. The problem happens approximately once a month. Any ideas?

I have CrystalDiskInfo installed already, when I navigate to my HDD, it says status is GOOD. What should I be looking for exactly?

I've attached a screenshot

HDD.jpg

the power on hours is pretty high, I'm not sure how long the fluid bearings last on these hd's.

if it was mine id think about replacing it.

What? I have drives at work with 65 thousand power on hours. 4559 hours is nothing at all.

well it sounds like its not spinning up every so often, so id replace it. of course that may be caused by a sub par power supply.

drives in a home pc probably get bumped a bit more than work drives I would have thought, I could be wrong though.

OP's sig says PSU is a Corsair HX620. That could be eight years old now, and even the best PSUs from that era might not be so good now.

Yeah, as drescherjm says, there's several possible choices here.

That drive does have a firmware update available; it seems to be about random failures in RAID arrays, but it is a known issue. Maybe that would solve this, maybe it wouldn't. If you do try this, you MUST back up the data on the drive first.

Actually, you must back up the data on the drive no matter what, because what if it decides to never be detected again?

I run Windows 7x64 on my 120GB Corsair SSD and have my personal files and games on my 3TB Seagate HDD. Occassionally (and this doesn't happen too often) when I boot Windows from a cold boot, the Seagate HDD is not detected by Windows. It doesn't appear in My Computer and shortcuts referring to this drive do not work and have missing icons. When I reboot, the problem still exists, however, if I shut down and then turn back on my PC, all is fine again. The problem happens approximately once a month. Any ideas?

My 3TB Seagate started making some clicking sound last night and I shutdown my PC because it kept freaking beeping at me. Woke up this morning and she's out of my life.

"She's Out Of My Life"

[1st Verse]
She's Out Of My Life
She's Out Of My Life
And I Don't Know Whether To Just Laugh Or Cry
I Don't Know Whether To Upgrade Or Try For Warranty Service
And My Case Cuts Me Like A Knife
She's Out Of My Life

[2nd Verse]
It's Out Of My Hands
It's Out Of My Hands
To Think For Three Years She Was Here
And I Took Her For Granted; Maybe I Should Have Got A WD Cavalier
Now The Way That It Stands
She's Out Of My Hands

[Bridge]
So I've Learned That I Should Have Had A Backup
And I've Learned That Drives Can Fail Unexpectedly
Now I've Learned That Even Error Checking Them Weekly Doesn't Mean A Thing
But I Learned Too Late

[3rd Verse]
She's Out Of My Life
She's Out Of My Life
Damned Indecision And Cursed Pride
Should Have Physically Inspected It More I Guess
And My Case Cut Me Like A Knife
She's Out Of My Life

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
My Corsair HX620 PSU was purchased in May 2008 and has been working fine with no random shutdowns, BSOD or anything. If the PSU is causing the issue with the HDD, why does this only happen rarely? and why is there no other problems so far?

I have my HDD content backed up on my external HDD which I update every week. I don't know if I want to format the drive to do a firmware update, it's a lot of hassle. I may one day just copy the entire contents over to my external HDD, perform an update and then paste back but that will take all day.

power supply components do degrade overtime particularly the capacitors, so they don't output as much power as when new afaik. also heat lowers their efficiency. of course your psu might be fine, its hard to diagnose intermittent problems like this.

the power on hours is pretty high, I'm not sure how long the fluid bearings last on these hd's.

if it was mine id think about replacing it.

I've got plenty of hours on my drives, this is the lowest one, it also has the lowest power on counts as well,
crystaldiskinfo-WD2TB-Black.jpg

Back