Windows SMP client installation guide

My one SMP boxen is nearing (or may have passed) the 10 completed units phase. I've got another 12 or so similar boxen I could convert from 2 standard cpu consoles each to SMP.

Is there some way to see the bonus points (if I'm getting them and how many)?

Fold on mighty [H]orde.

My one SMP boxen is nearing (or may have passed) the 10 completed units phase. I've got another 12 or so similar boxen I could convert from 2 standard cpu consoles each to SMP.

Is there some way to see the bonus points (if I'm getting them and how many)?

Fold on mighty [H]orde.
There's no way to see that directly. You just have to keep an eye on your stats and see whether your points go up or not.

So is this worth it on an dual core i5 with hyperthreading, or core 2 duo? The folding@home page makes it sound like I shouldn't do it, but I see people have done it regardless.

So is this worth it on an dual core i5 with hyperthreading, or core 2 duo? The folding@home page makes it sound like I shouldn't do it, but I see people have done it regardless.

yeah it should run fine on the i5 since it will still be better performance then the core 2 duo.. as far as the c2d its going to depend on how high its clocked..

Well I was wondering if I should do the SMP or just 2 separate folding clients. I am going to be running this on the computers in my sig. Which makes me remember, should I even run a CPU a client if I am running the GPU client as well?

Oh and I forgot to say this, but thank you Zero for a great guide on setting up the SMP client. ROck on [H]orde!

is it possible to pause the client?.. i want to run this on my work machine overnight when it's idLing and pause it when I get into work.

is it possible to pause the client?.. i want to run this on my work machine overnight when it's idLing and pause it when I get into work.

Just hit Ctrl-C.

However I would let it run. It should not show down anything your working with because it is set at the lowest priority.

If you find that it does get in the way, Ctrl-C

The only time I shut it down on my main rig is when I'm playing a multi-threaded game, that's about it.

All 4 cores are running at 100%. Kinda bad because I have to run multiple programs and have aLot of windows open.

All 4 cores are running at 100%. Kinda bad because I have to run multiple programs and have aLot of windows open.
All cores will run at 100%, but F@H will decrease its CPU usage when other programs need more power. It's designed to use up any free CPU power, but to allow other programs to use more of the CPU when they need to. Try doing your work with F@H running and see how you are able to manage. If it really gets bad for you, then you can exit it when you are using the PC, but I think you'll find that it is manageable without having to do that.

I can't get the install.bat to work, it won't let me use a blank password (my windows account doesn't have a password) and if I put in a password it gets denied by my computer.

Like the guide says, you need a password to successfully install the MPI service. There's no way of getting around that. However, with the new 6.30 binary, you may not need the MPI service altogether. Please download this file and replace the F@H executable in your directory with it: http://www.stanford.edu/~kasson/folding/windows/[email protected]

Then try following the guide without the steps relating to install.bat and see if you get an A3 unit. If it works, please let me know.

Like the guide says, you need a password to successfully install the MPI service. There's no way of getting around that. However, with the new 6.30 binary, you may not need the MPI service altogether. Please download this file and replace the F@H executable in your directory with it: http://www.stanford.edu/~kasson/folding/windows/[email protected]

Then try following the guide without the steps relating to install.bat and see if you get an A3 unit. If it works, please let me know.

Worked. Thanks, it downloaded core a3 and all my cores are running now.

Edit: Well it runs but it messes up everything else on my pc, it crashes firefox and IE runs but everything is crazy. I have overclocked buy only by 200mhz which tested stable for 24hrs with the amd overdrive application.

Last edited:
I'm gonna need some more details than that. Exactly what kind of craziness is going on?

I'm gonna need some more details than that. Exactly what kind of craziness is going on?

Like pictures in IE are just a series of multicolored lines, the page will blank out until I scroll the page or stuff will be out of order on the page, all mixed up, basically its like its tripping out, when I click links on a page they will load but I can't post on the forums, it will say it posted the message but the message doesn't show up on forums. When I close the folding client everything goes back to normal. Firefox loads and then crashes, pc becomes semi unresponsive, start bar doesn't work but I can still use ctrl alt del.

I have never heard of anything like that. This is just with CPU folding? What are your specs? Is your CPU overclocked?

I have never heard of anything like that. This is just with CPU folding? What are your specs? Is your CPU overclocked?

Yeah just the cpu folding, its a x4 955 at 3.4mhz, only 200mhz overclock tested stable for 24hrs with the amd overdrive application. 4gb 1333ram.

Yeah just the cpu folding, its a x4 955 at 3.4mhz, only 200mhz overclock tested stable for 24hrs with the amd overdrive application. 4gb 1333ram.

id say theres something else wrong.. doubt its the overclock.. has to be something else effecting it..

id say theres something else wrong.. doubt its the overclock.. has to be something else effecting it..

I think it's related to flash, I tried it out again and I was browsing the internet just fine then I went to staples.com and there was some flash there that made firefox lockup.

What's the best way to set this up on a slow dual core proc? I have an Athlon 64 X2 @ 2.0 GHz that has been giving me issues lately, so no OC'ing. I tried setting it up to run -advmethods and it took about 4 days to finish a WU and it was only worth about 300 points. Should I not use -advmethods? It almost seems like it might not be worth even running on this proc, especially since I'm running the GPU client on an 8800 GTS in the same box. Any ideas?

-advmethods doesn't currently make a difference as far as the types of units you'll get. Honestly, I wouldn't bother running it if I were you. Your CPU is not very fast and the amount of points it will produce are not worth the power consumption or the hassle of maintenance. Just stick with your video card.

I updated the guide with instructions to set it up using the drop-in binary without the installer. If there are any problems, please let me know.

anybody know why I keep getting a MPI error?

Unable to connect to 'F-PC:8676',
sock error: generic socket failure, error stack:
MPIDU_Sock_post_connect(1228): unable to connect to F-PC on port 8676, exhausted
all endpoints (errno -1)
MPIDU_Sock_post_connect(1275): unable to connect to F-PC on port 8676, No connec
tion could be made because the target machine actively refused it. (errno 10061)

this is with the new SMP that doesnt need MPI supposedly...

anybody know why I keep getting a MPI error?

this is with the new SMP that doesnt need MPI supposedly...
That's normal. Just leave it and it will run fine. It gives you that error when it doesn't detect MPI being active, but since the client doesn't actually require MPI any more, it will still continue working.

Well this newer client hasn't caused any problems with my pc like the client I tried before so now I am running the smp client and gpu client.

This is a dual core cpu overclocked to 2376Mhz which I use to run the SMP2 client.
I receive approximately 1300+ points depending on time completed from a base value of 481 once I completed 10 WU's
This cpu finishes the SMP2 WU in less than 48 hours usually 40 hours.
I also am running two GPU clients (GPU3) on older series Nvidia 8800 cards.
I use the console client, command prompt, dos box interface to configure then run as a service on XP Pro SP3 set to manual and start at my option.
The flag(s) set on the SMP client are:
User name [noprob]
Team Number [your team of choice inserted here]
Passkey [use yours/top secret,do not share]
Use proxy (yes/no) [no]
Acceptable size of work assignment and work result packets (bigger units
may have large memory demands) -- 'small' is <5MB, 'normal' is <10MB, and
'big' is >10MB (small/normal/big) [big]
Change advanced options (yes/no) [no] (yes to change,no to close the configuration window)
Core Priority (idle/low) [idle]
CPU usage requested (5-100) [100]
Disable highly optimized assembly code (no/yes) [no]
Pause if battery power is being used (useful for laptops) (no/yes) [no]
Interval, in minutes, between checkpoints (3-30) [30]
Memory, in MB, to indicate (1023 available) [1023]
Set -advmethods flag always, requesting new advanced
scientific cores and/or work units if available (no/yes) [yes]
Ignore any deadline information (mainly useful if
system clock frequently has errors) (no/yes) [no]
Machine ID (1-16) [1]
Launch manually, remove the service in this directory (no/yes) [no] (keeping as a service,though I do set it to manual and start it myself at my leisure)
Disable CPU affinity lock (no/yes) [no]
Additional client parameters. Use space to clear. [-smp -forceasm -verbosity 9]
IP address to bind core to (for viewer). Use space to clear [] (not used,left blank)
On one of the GPU clients are:
User name [noprob]?
Team Number [your team of choice inserted here]?
Passkey [use yours/top secret,do not share]?
Use proxy (yes/no) [no]?
Acceptable size of work assignment and work result packets (bigger units
may have large memory demands) -- 'small' is <5MB, 'normal' is <10MB, and
'big' is >10MB (small/normal/big) [big]?
Change advanced options (yes/no) [no]? yes [use only to configure your client , no to close window]
Core Priority (idle/low) [low]? (the slightly higher option)
CPU usage requested (5-100) [100]?
Disable highly optimized assembly code (no/yes) [no]?
Pause if battery power is being used (useful for laptops) (no/yes) [no]?
Interval, in minutes, between checkpoints (3-30) [30]?
Memory, in MB, to indicate (1023 available) [1023]?
Set -advmethods flag always, requesting new advanced
scientific cores and/or work units if available (no/yes) [yes]?
Ignore any deadline information (mainly useful if
system clock frequently has errors) (no/yes) [no]?
Machine ID (1-16) [2]?
Launch manually, remove the service in this directory (no/yes) [no]?(keeping as a service,though I do set it to manual and start it myself)
The following options require you to restart the client before they take effect
Disable CPU affinity lock (no/yes) [no]?
Additional client parameters. Use space to clear. [-gpu 0 -verbosity 9]? (-gpu 1 -verbosity 9 for the second GPU client)
IP address to bind core to (for viewer). Use space to clear []?
Please realize this is for the users that work on a shoe string with limited funds.
I just thought this might help out those of us not using the fastest,most up dated hardware.

Last edited:
Does this client allow any sort of pausing? Does it scale down in cycles when other programs run? I'd like to turn this off when I'm gaming. 100% util of my cpu just seems like it would hurt my FPS in BC2 ;P

Does this client allow any sort of pausing? Does it scale down in cycles when other programs run? I'd like to turn this off when I'm gaming. 100% util of my cpu just seems like it would hurt my FPS in BC2 ;P
Just exit when you want to play a game and start it up again afterward.

Alright cool thanks. Also though, are you points updated only after a work unit is done?

Ok, not getting points with smp app. Is this a common problem? Same user name, team 33, etc.

Back