Windows Sign-In / Pin / Sleep issues!

IShadesl

n00b
Hello all!

I have a problem I'm at my ends with right now. I recently (few weeks ago) upgraded from Windows 10 to Windows 10 Pro. There was a problem with my OS and Microsoft had to remotely clean install Windows Pro for me because they wouldn't give me a .iso for some reason.

Fast forward to this week.... few issues:

Windows stopped asking for a Pin on login like I had it setup to do, only a password

I cannot change, edit, reset my Pin. I can get as far as entering my Windows password but nothing pops up after

Sometimes the Settings > Sign-In Options page will not load - it requires me to reboot to get it load

Every time I go into sleep mode I cannot log back in without restarting. I have unchecked "Require Password when computer Sleeps" It's just my background, no password entry box, nothing. No keys work.

Thing's I have tried:

Going to C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\Microsoft and deleting everything in NGC folder but that just makes the "Sign-In Options" page not work for me so I have to reboot then I'm still stuck without being able to change the pin.

Change to Microsoft Account - still cannot edit pin from there or any Local/Admin Account

Gone into all the Window's settings and Local Policy's I can imagine to double check what is enabled and disabled and found nothing wrong.

Searched the internet far and wide.

PLEASE any advice I will take! Every time I close my computer I have to reboot right now, so frustrating. I've heard of others with similar issues who have done clean wipes and recovery's with no luck!

Pretty weird from the sounds of it.
First off - I'm going to clearly spell out that I've done a lots of Windows security work, but frankly - I have never used a PIN for authentication on either a personal computer or in a networked environment - so I'm going to be guessing a bit here.
But stepping back from the problem, you have a user authentication issue.

What exactly is the problem - in simple clear terms.
I read your message as saying effectively - you are unable to use your PIN to sign in to the computer, after the upgrade.

And password based authentication for your account(s) is working correctly ?

Here's a couple of things to read - sorry if you know this stuff already, but let's start with the basics:
- adding PIN authentication to an account:
https://techjourney.net/create-add-pin-code-for-login-in-windows-10-8-1-8/

- disabling PIN authentication on an account:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...on-login/14976ceb-0d94-4d31-afca-42280443c6b6

- preventing new user accounts from using a PIN for authentication via group policy:

source (for comments below):

I've spent numerous hours trying to figure out why Microsoft accounts could still be added to Windows 10 after disabling it via GPO, hopefully the regkey below will save someone else the effort in troubleshooting.

This will disable the ability to add MS accounts via Settings>Accounts

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\PolicyManager\default\Settings\AllowYourAccount] "value"=dword:00000000

Edit: This will also block Pin Signon (& most options on the sign-on options window) [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\PolicyManager\default\Settings\AllowSignInOptions] "value"=dword:00000000

>>> I suspect after doing some looking at my own Win 10 Pro installation last night that the last thing I've mentioned here is probably the best place to start.

Please confirm what value of the registry key is. By default that entry called "value" should have a dword value of "00000001".

Have a look at the above and see if anything points you in the right direction. If you're still stuck, it might be a case of resetting the computer's local group policy settings. Here's an article on that - but I would hold off doing that (until you've worked through the stuff above):
http://www.windowscentral.com/how-reset-local-group-policy-objects-their-default-settings-windows-10

Last edited:
What version of windows are you running?
Win+R > winver > OK

One thing to check is that your TPM is active and working, as the PIN feature uses that to securely store the protected data, and if you did a clean reinstall of windows you may have lost access to control your TPM.
Win+R > tpm.msc > OK

Share that info and it will help diagnosing.

Muz thanks for your reply.

First link:
It's for Windows 7 & 8.... these are the steps:
Try the below steps and check if that helps:

1. Open Settings.
  2. Click on Accounts.
  3. Select Sign-in options.
  4. Look for PIN. Since you have already created a pin, you should be getting option as Forgot my PIN, click on that.
  5. Now click on Continue.
  6. Don’t enter the pin details and click on Cancel.
  7. Now check for the issue.
I do not have a "Forgot my Pin" option.

Second Link:
When I click "Add Pin" It asks for my password then nothing happens.

HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System!AllowDomainPINLogon - I do not have this key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\PolicyManager\default\Settings\AllowSignInOptions!value -Value is set to 1

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\PolicyManager\default\Settings\AllowYourAccount - Value is set to 1

Tawnos thank you also for your reply.

I'm running Windows 10 Pro Ver 1607. Microsoft and I had a lot of trouble installing it. I bought my MSI GL72 6QF from XoticPC and they had Windows 10 Home installed by default. Microsoft said there was an issue with the version or installment of Windows... I spent approx 6-8 hours on chat/Remote Access with them trying to resolve this issue as I purchase Windows 10 Pro and it would not update. They did not want to give me an ISO for some reason so I had to work with them.

As far as the TPM. > It says I do not have a TPM or it's not active. I checked my BIOS and have no options anywhere for this....

Is the machine domain joined?

No I never set up any domains.

And I'll have to clarify - it didn't happen right after we reinstalled Windows but shortly after. The pin and login/lock screen were working fine after the re-installation but only for a week or so.

Let me know if I missed any questions or suggestions, I was up very late last night but I think I managed to try everything that was suggested.

Instead of deleting the files, can you try renaming C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\NGC to C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\NGC.old?

I renamed the folder - but since I deleted it (2 weeks ago) it never made new files? I haven't looked in this folder since I deleted the files.... Shouldn't it have made new files??

Now that you've renamed it, what happens when you try to add a pin?

Now that you've renamed it, what happens when you try to add a pin?

Prompts for password then...nothing. Sometimes depending on how long since last reboot it won't prompt for a password, just won't do anything.

Back