Windows shows half usable ram

UberPooner

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 21, 2005
Messages
435
Hi, I just installed 6gb ddr3 ram on an asus p6x58d.. 3x2gb. I am running 32 bit windows7. When I view my system information it says I have 6gb ram and 2.99 usable.

I did some research and came across setting the maximum memory in msconfig. I set the maximum to allow for 6gb. When I restart my computer I get the same problem and the maximum memory changes to 2gb.

Does anyone have any input on how to solve this issue?

Do you think it has to do with me using windows7 32 and not 64 bit?
 
You have two choices: you can either use a RAMdisk to make use of that "excess" RAM if you intend to keep using x86/32 bit Windows, or you can redo your system with an x64/64 bit version of Windows (whatever edition you're using).

Not much else you can do, aside from yanking out some RAM from the machine but that kinda defeats the purpose of having it.

x64/64 bit Windows is the recommended solution.
 
Just a limit of the actual kernel. Nothing wrong. Upgrade to the 64 bit. :)
 
Back
Top