Windows: should I use NVME slot for small Optane or larger NVME SSD?

ss88

Weaksauce
Recently picked up a Dell XPS 8930, which has a mobo with a M.2/NVME slot. It comes with 16gb Intel Optane in that slot paired with a HDD.

I'm going to install either a 240GB NVME SSD or a 240GB regular SATA III SSD for OS and apps, and use the HDD for data storage. My question is which of the following would be the preferred/faster configuration?

1. 32GB RAM, 16GB Optane in M.2/NVME slot, 240GB SSD (SATA III) for OS and apps

or

2. 32GB RAM, 240GB NVME SSD in M.2/NVME slot for OS and apps (removing Optane from system)

Just use a regular NVMe SSD for C:. The Optane does have the advantage in latency, but it's probably imperceptible in real-world use and setting it up as an accelerator just adds an unneeded layer of complexity. It was a reasonable tradeoff for fronting a HDD, but not so much now.

Also, consider getting a 500 GB-class SSD instead of a 250 GB-class unit. They're often a much better deal $/GB and you won't have to worry so much about filling it.

Reactions: ss88
like this
Thanks. I've got a Microcenter near me, so I don't have to wait for shipping. Think I'll go get a 500gb 970 Evo Plus tomorrow.

Back