Windows server static routes?

Verge

Supreme [H]ardness
Is there a way to change the order of these. Windows appears to query this list from top to bottom.

On 99.9999% of my servers, when I add anew route, it goes above the default and works great. On 2 servers however, my static routs are added below the default and they do not work. All traffic is still sent to the default gateway.

*frown*

Why are you needing these static routes? Normally you add them to your gateway...

Are you setting the gateway metric manually? I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish.

Are you saying Windows routing tables don't work from specific to generic but rather in some obscure order of addition?!

What are the netmasks of those routes?

It's all about the metric - Depending on the version of Windows they messed around with the default values - on 2k/XP/2K3, the default metric for the DG should be 10 or above (depending on what windows thinks your link speed is), static routes should have a metric of 1 by default. Lower metrics are given priority.

Vista/7/2k8/2k12 have some additional voodoo going on to assign metrics that I've never spent the time to figure out (or maybe it's just broken) - in my experience this can make working with static routes a bit of a pain. In some cases I've removed the default route manually (on boot or login) and rebuilt the routes with manual metrics.

Generally you should have, you know....routers in place so you don't need to do manual route management on servers, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Ya, I'm kinda wondering about the environment and job that the OP is working under that s/he needs this.

Oh god I inherited a similiar mess of static windows routes, its amazingly bad.

Yeah, just because you can doesn't mean you should. PUT THE 'ROUTE ADD' COMMAND DOWN NOW!!!

Back