Windows Server Password issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinister_kid

Limp Gawd
My mom's work recently upgraded to all new servers and were going to throw the old ones simply in the trash. My mom asked if we could get one for a home server and they said sure.

Only problem is there is a Administrator password login screen and I don't know the password nor does my mom's boss.

Is there anyway to reset the password? Or do I have to try and figure this out?

there are utilities out there to do it.

or, simply reinstall the OS; which may be preferable anyway, depending on how they had it set up.
The server will have a valid legitimate key, but finding the media may be a different story.

Oh yeah, I'd reinstall the OS, especially if you can get a restore disc from the manufacturer.

How am I supposed to run a utility if I can't get into the OS to begin with?
Yes that is the issue, I don't have a windows server NT4 cd..

nt4 ? what is that good for these days, nothing i don't think, if the machine can handle it atleast use 2000 server....

C7, I tried the 2nd one you posted and it doesn't work.

I go through and get the computer to boot off of the CD like it says etc but then when I go to log in with the new password, which I set, it doesn't work? Says the password is invalid.

Any indeas?

whatever if theirs nothing on the drive worth keeping wipe the drive and do a full rebuild \ reinstall in the after math.

btw if were talking older computer i would recommend you use a
32fat partition for the windows drive then a backup 32bit
partition for archiving drivers and what not for the computer
then the main part of the hdd in ntfs

btw how many hdd are on the computer ?

You can reset the local Administrator account pretty easily with any of those tools already listed. But reseting the Domain Administrator account can be a little more difficult.

To be honest, just reinstall the whole server. That way you can learn how to install the server OS, play with setting it up, and the company doesn't have to worry about sensitive data possibly getting out there. Run DBAN on the server, then reinstall.

Guys, do I seriously have to remind you that linking to password reset/crack utilities is not allowed here for any reason?

OP if you legitimately got this thing then you should have been given the password. If you weren't given the password for whatever reason, just wipe it and reinstall. Discussing ways to bypass password systems is not allowed here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back