Windows Server Essentials Domain

Justintoxicated

[H]F Junkie
So I need to migrate my old windows home server to an OS that can use advanced format hard drives.

I installed WSE just now and was looking for some information on how to configure it.

I I though there was supposed to be a way to connect to the server without joining a domain though?

I notice the server does not how up on the network from my windows 7 PC How do I get to the connector software? Do I have to join the Domain?

Last edited:
Define "connect" to it.

I've just purchased a new Dell server with Server2012 Essentials for a work project, and while it is configured for a domain I can US RDP and shared folders from computers that are not attached to the domain. Granted because it's all in development at the moment I am using a admin account on the server for access rights.

Am I going to be in over my head with his OS?

Anyways, I remember there was some features WSE2012 had that WHS2011 was lacking but I can't find a good comparison list anymore.

Open an ADMIN command line box and paste in the following and hit return:

reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Server\ClientDeployment" /v SkipDomainJoin /t REG_DWORD /d 1

Then install the connector software.

You should not be over your head. Stay in the Dashboard, and frankly it's not much more involved than Windows 7/8 is. Use some caution and think if you decide to set up drive sets, and watch your permissions, especially those concerning remote access.

I did it with ZERO training or study. I just paid attention to what was in front of me and I've been fine.

Now, if you installed the command line only version, you are so on your own LOL

Last edited:
Back