Windows Server 2012 R2/Virtual server dual screens?

Dapperdan

Supreme [H]ardness
I have a small nanopc Im using for testing purposes, currently running windows server 2012 R2, previously had Windows 7 on it. It has one DVI and one HDMI, when I had win 7 on it, I was able to get dual screens to work. I put windows server 2012 R2 on it last night and dual screens wont work on the main server OS, only one screen is showing up.

The end goal of this project is to get the virtual servers I setup to use multiple monitors, both ports. What's the best way to go about this? A search makes it seem like it's possible but not the most straight forward way of getting the desired outcome. I need to know if I have options.

Thanks

Not entirely sure what you are trying to do. Are you trying to have a VM with two video outputs?

make sure you install the video card drivers and not using the default MS driver?

How are you running these virtual servers? with in Hyper-V with in Windows Server 2012?

Not entirely sure what you are trying to do. Are you trying to have a VM with two video outputs?

Yes, I want 2 outputs for the VM

make sure you install the video card drivers and not using the default MS driver?

How are you running these virtual servers? with in Hyper-V with in Windows Server 2012?

Yes in Hyper-V within 2012

Yes, I want 2 outputs for the VM
Yes in Hyper-V within 2012
OK that's helpful. I know how to do it in KVM... don't know how to do it in Hyper-V but the information could be helpful. If the situation is similar to KVM then you want to tell Windows that it has two monitors/two graphic cards. This should make Windows function like a normal two monitor display setup. When you start the VM you should get two outputs. The host should have dual displays already working though. Then you would just place one output on one monitor and the other on the second and then full screen the displays. Hope this is somewhat helpful.

OK that's helpful. I know how to do it in KVM... don't know how to do it in Hyper-V but the information could be helpful. If the situation is similar to KVM then you want to tell Windows that it has two monitors/two graphic cards. This should make Windows function like a normal two monitor display setup. When you start the VM you should get two outputs. The host should have dual displays already working though. Then you would just place one output on one monitor and the other on the second and then full screen the displays. Hope this is somewhat helpful.

Do you have more info on KVM, I have limited experience but Id be interested in knowing more if it could help achieve my goal. Thanks

Do you have more info on KVM, I have limited experience but Id be interested in knowing more if it could help achieve my goal. Thanks

Well once you had KVM installed you would install your video drivers and get dual monitors working there. Once you had that working then you would create your VM install all of the drivers and stuff (spice and virtio). Then you would add a second display to the VM.

This will actually explain it a little bit better.

https://elmarco.fedorapeople.org/manual.html#_multiple_monitor_support

How are you getting to the Hyper-V VM, through the local Hyper-V console or are you RDPing into it?

Back