• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

windows server 2012 disk pools horrible performance

alphabanks

n00b
Joined
Oct 31, 2012
Messages
62
Has anyone here tested disk pools on server 2012. I configured a 2012 vm on ESXI with 4 gigs of ram. I also passed through an IBM M1015 controller connected to 3 WD red 2tb drives. I than created a storage pool after that I created 3 vhd's a raid 0,1 and 5. After that I transferred data over to each one that I created and it sucked. The raid 5 was the worse I think it was moving at 25 to 30 megs. So if anyone here has bukt a storage system using 2012 storage pools and vhd's I'm curios in knowing what numbers you got.
 
My experience with RAID-5 storage pools in Server 2012 was equally terrible, and it was native (Not VM). I also find the write performance for ReFS to be pretty terrible. (As in copy a 3GB file onto the ReFS volume, Caching has it "done" in 52 seconds, but the disk I copied it to is busy and non-responsive for 2-3 mins afterwards). Read performance is excellent, though, so I deal with it for the increased file protection. I am not writing to that volume all that often anyway.
 
I was really hoping this would be worth something. Am I missing something does caching need to be enabled on the vhd's or something.
 
Back
Top