Windows Server 2008

Siriusmuzik

[H]ard|Gawd
Do all Windows Server 2008 allow you to enter the serial into 5 computers?

Thank you

thank you

which comes with the one purchased through ACM, MSDN? How many client access licenses (CALs)

Generally retail comes with 5 user CALs. Volume comes with 0 CALs

Hi there,

this is exactly like retail though right? anyone else have information?

You only put the serial number onto the server you loaded the server software on. Depending on the version of server 08 you might be able to install multiple vm's on a single server of it.

As far as cals go server 08 generally comes with 5 cals although I believe you can still get retail copies that have 10 in the box. The front of the package should say which it came with and you should have a license document with the info as well. Mind you if it is something like web server 2008 then it doesn't use cals at all.

As far as installing cals go microsoft removed that with 08. The licenses for extra computers to connect are just paper ones. They don't enforce it with the licensing program that they use to. It never worked right anyway.

You only put the serial number onto the server you loaded the server software on. Depending on the version of server 08 you might be able to install multiple vm's on a single server of it.

As far as cals go server 08 generally comes with 5 cals although I believe you can still get retail copies that have 10 in the box. The front of the package should say which it came with and you should have a license document with the info as well. Mind you if it is something like web server 2008 then it doesn't use cals at all.

As far as installing cals go microsoft removed that with 08. The licenses for extra computers to connect are just paper ones. They don't enforce it with the licensing program that they use to. It never worked right anyway.

Thanks for the info.

There is no packing since it came from the MSDN acm website that is a digital download. I will just assume that it has 5 CALs because I don't see a reason for it to be any different.

However, from what I am understanding,

if it does have 5 CALs, I would need 5 different serials? Or the same serial will allow 5 computers to connect? Because I only have one serial.

Thanks for the info.

There is no packing since it came from the MSDN acm website that is a digital download. I will just assume that it has 5 CALs because I don't see a reason for it to be any different.

However, from what I am understanding,

if it does have 5 CALs, I would need 5 different serials? Or the same serial will allow 5 computers to connect? Because I only have one serial.

1 serial for loading it on the server. You don't need extra serials for client computers to connect to it. In the past you had cal disks or serials that you had to install on the server to increase the number of connections it supported. This has been done away with as far as the windows server goes. It doesn't care if you have 5 machines connected or 200 machines. The cals are just paper cals saying you have the right to allow x number of users or devices to connect.

5 CALs only relates for terminal connections. It's not the number of workstations on the domain.

5 CALs only relates for terminal connections. It's not the number of workstations on the domain.

This guy has no idea about what he's talking about. Don't listen to him.

Terminal Server cals are a completly different animal. They don't come with server either, it is an addon.

The standard windows server will come with 5 or 10 cals(0 if it is an open license). Those cals can be used as either device or user cals. You can then buy extra cals in either. On top of that you would then have the terminal server cals which also can be bought as device or user cals.

This guy has no idea about what he's talking about. Don't listen to him.

Terminal Server cals are a completly different animal. They don't come with server either, it is an addon.

The standard windows server will come with 5 or 10 cals(0 if it is an open license). Those cals can be used as either device or user cals. You can then buy extra cals in either. On top of that you would then have the terminal server cals which also can be bought as device or user cals.

Guess that's what I get for not reading all of the previous posts. Jumped the gun once again. :(

Back