Windows Server 2008, networking virtual machines

NeoGohan

2[H]4U
Hi guys, so I just made some virtual machines and they all have different IP addresses( i want them to see each other internally only). For some reason I can't get them to see each other. I can't ping them even after taking down their firewalls. Anyone know what I need to do? I'm new to this. Thanks!

I think you need to explain a little more for us to help.

Do any of these virtual machines NICs go to a switch or router or anything? What OS are you running on the host and virtual machines? When you say you want them to only see each other internally, you mean you want to be able to transfer files from one virtual machine to another, but not be able to reach the Internet, correct?

I think you need to explain a little more for us to help.

Do any of these virtual machines NICs go to a switch or router or anything? What OS are you running on the host and virtual machines? When you say you want them to only see each other internally, you mean you want to be able to transfer files from one virtual machine to another, but not be able to reach the Internet, correct?

Hi vage,

the virtual machines nics don't go to any devices as of now. The virtual machines are running win2k8 enterprise. I want them to see each other but not connect to the internet using the internal network adapter option(instead of external). I'm trying to make 2 vms that will be identical each other, trying out the fail safe feature in win2k8. Thanks!

Alright, how do you have each virtual machines virtual Ethernet adapter setup? Like is it bridged, NAT, anything like that?

Alright, how do you have each virtual machines virtual Ethernet adapter setup? Like is it bridged, NAT, anything like that?

It's not bridged or NAT. But I think I figured it out. One of the VMs is cloned from the other one so they both had the same MAC address. So I just created a new virtual adapter with a different MAC address and it seems to be working. Sorry for the fuss XD Forgot that if I clone they get the exact some stuff. I only gave them different IPs. Didn't want to deal with having to go through and install windows all over again ~_~ If you have anymore input, let me know vage. Thanks for your help.

remember that if you cloan an install you will need new SID's too with in windows or that may create issues.

Phil

Back