Windows server 2008 as home system ?

Michaelius

Supreme [H]ardness
Is anyone running new Server 2008 as a normal operating system ?

Also do you use Vista 64bit drivers for it as i remember Windows XP 64 bit shared a lot of drivers with 2003 Server and was even recognized as Server edition from time to time when i had it.

Server 2008 is "aligned" with Vista. It uses Vista drivers, though depending on the device and the hardware maker Server 2003/XP drivers may work.

It does take considerable tweaking to get 2008 to run in a desktop-ish way. I don't know if there's any real benefit to this, and unless one gets 2008 free, it's also outrageously expensive.

We're running Server 2008 at work on a workstation. I would have to say after seeing it, I would definitely not prefer it over Vista for home use. It can be set up to look mostly like Vista, minus the sidebar, but I see nothing to be gained by it. You will have greater software compatibility with Vista. You could probably resolve some of that with compatibility mode, but why bother?

Ok I'll trust you and instal Vista Bussiness 64 bit from my MSDN AA instead of free beta serwer 2008 ;)

Ok I'll trust you and instal Vista Bussiness 64 bit from my MSDN AA instead of free beta serwer 2008 ;)

I installed Vista Business 64bit from my Action Pack. It's sweet. I bashed Vista until I actually tried it. I did do the SP1 RC though right after I installed it. I'm really pleased with the performance on my Core 2 e4300 @ 2.4Ghz and 4gb ram. You won't be sorry..

please dont use an os designed for a server as your desktop os...

Hmm why not? Win Xp 64 was almost identical as 2003 Server and I have seen people using 2003 normally.

Anyway so far I'm happy with Vista - instalation was even easier than XP, it scales fonts better and i din't encounter any of the problems so far - but real tests will be done soon as i install some games back ;)

Okay well do both and see which one performs better

-install programs you would normally use
-install any games you play
-install drivers and patches

Post a week later on your findings, yes this is a challenge.

Server 2008 is "aligned" with Vista. It uses Vista drivers, though depending on the device and the hardware maker Server 2003/XP drivers may work.

It does take considerable tweaking to get 2008 to run in a desktop-ish way. I don't know if there's any real benefit to this, and unless one gets 2008 free, it's also outrageously expensive.

Haven't screwed around with 08 that much yet but with 03 the advantage was 03 was a little faster then xp. It was also considered to be more stable. Most of this was because it stripped down. Didn't have as much stuff running in the background.

please dont use an os designed for a server as your desktop os...

I'm game why not? If you know what you are doing it doesn't really matter.

I've been running server 03 on my notebook for a few years now. I've really had no issues with it untill I loaded both verizon and sprints 3g software on it. Thing got mad at both of them being installed. Other then that it has run great. Mind you I had a reason to do this. I do mostly server work and it is nice to be able to use this as a test bed of sorts without having to use a vm(for some things a vm is not the best choice). Hell the machine has done backup ad and dns work more then once for a client.

Hmm why not? Win Xp 64 was almost identical as 2003 Server and I have seen people using 2003 normally.

Anyway so far I'm happy with Vista - instalation was even easier than XP, it scales fonts better and i din't encounter any of the problems so far - but real tests will be done soon as i install some games back ;)

If you're happy with Vista keep it. Vista is very easy to set up. Server 2008 requires additional setup to get it to look like Vista. I have also found the interface to be more sluggish than Vista. It also lacks some interface features, like the sidebar I mentioned earlier. It does gain some server tools, but I would only recommend it to someone that actually needed those tools. If you want to play with it, run a copy in Virtual PC or VMWare and see how much you like it first. Then you don't have to keep reformatting.

Which is why XP x64 was created in the first place, to give the benefits of the Server 2003 core on a desktop.

What is being lost here is this. By the time you tweak a Server OS down to a desktop OS....you are really just running the desktop equivalent. So, why waste time, and take chances on drivers not working or apps having compatibility problems?

If you want to run Server 2008 as a workstation, that's a great idea....and that idea is called Vista. If you want to run Server 2003 as a workstation, that's a great idea....and that idea is called Windows XP x64.

beta should be over... it launches in 3 weeks... i'd expect your beta copy to expire rather quickly...

but it does work fine as desktop os, if you are looking for vista

For certain channels, like TechNet, it has already been released.

Yep. It has been out for a couple weeks on TechNet and MSDN. I think I could really like it on a server, but I would stick with the classic interface on a server. I am still failing to like it over Vista on the desktop. Even with the "Desktop Experience" installed (to make it look like Vista), it still lacks the graphical effects. If you like the fade effects on the Windows, too bad on Server 2008. Unless there is an obscure way to enable it, but then again that is more work for the same effect if it is possible. Just want you to be forewarned that it is not just a server OS that runs and looks just like Vista. There are differences you will notice, and for me they are negative.

Considering that the Vista SP1 kernel is the same as that for Windows Server 2008, I don't really see any reason to use Server 2008 unless you actually need a server OS. They're optimised for different purposes; a server isn't inherently better than a desktop, just better at being a server.

Back