windows server 2008 - allow users access to windows update?

xappie

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi all

Anyone know how I allow non-admin users to use Windows Update? Seems like it should be an easy thing, but I just can't figure it out! When I go to the windows update site it says I must be a member of the admin group.

Last edited:
What part of Windows Update do you want them to use? Just downloading updates for the computers or is there something specific you want them to download?

Just downloading/installing any updates for the computers that come out on windows update. Right now, when they go to the windows update website they get blocked.

Not sure of your specific scenario, but a WSUS server might be up your alley and could save your network a lot of bandwidth hording.

Otherwise your going to need to create a GPO and configure the permissions. It has been a while since I've done it but this should point you in the right direction.

Just downloading/installing any updates for the computers that come out on windows update. Right now, when they go to the windows update website they get blocked.
You can set the computer to automatically download and install updates.

Not sure of your specific scenario, but a WSUS server might be up your alley and could save your network a lot of bandwidth hording.
This is exactly the route I was going to suggest.

WSUS is easy to set up and you can pick and choose what updates to go through. Then they are automatically dispersed to the users.

To set it up, you need IIS, a DNS entry and a couple tweaks in the WSUS console.

In the group policy in computer components for Windows Update you set the target group to the name you set up when you install WSUS and you change the frequency of udpates, etc.

Back