Windows Server 2003 takes 2-3 hours to start up

DaturaX

Weaksauce
Hi,

I've a machine and it is a Dell POWEREDGE 1600SC. It is running Windows Server 2003 and is taking 2-3 hours to startup.

I know that there could be numerous issues that will cause this. ie. HDD failing, services taking way too long to load, MS SQL indexing. etc.

Anyone can provide me diagnostic tools to diagnose the machine? ie. HDD diagnostic tools for dell etc. Have never work before with Dell servers as my company uses more of HP servers.

Will checked on it tommorrow. Any more suggestion guys? The user has called microsoft on this issue and Microsoft advise was rebuild the system! All I can say is wow!

stand alone [workgroup] or domain server?

possibly DNS settings incorrect?

Id try the booting from CD and check the \startup folders and see if anything is in there
- hopefully the Cd boots up faster than 2 hours (it should)

dbwillis said:
stand alone [workgroup] or domain server?

possibly DNS settings incorrect?

Id try the booting from CD and check the \startup folders and see if anything is in there
- hopefully the Cd boots up faster than 2 hours (it should)
If it's a DC the second line here is very important.

Try to find Microsoft Bootvis. Its a tool that will time your bootup sequence.

Does safe mode take this long to boot? My bet is its something related to a piece of the domain not functioning as mentioned earlier. It can take a long time to time-out. Did you change network cards or any network settings at all? Is this SBS2003 or just Win2003 (some dont know the difference)?

DaturaX said:
Will checked on it tommorrow. Any more suggestion guys? The user has called microsoft on this issue and Microsoft advise was rebuild the system!

If you already went through Microsoft PSS, can we assume they already had the user check the boot files\settings, the Windows settings, startup programs, system events and other such things? It'd be helpful to know what's already been checked, otherwise most suggestions are likely to be repeats of what PSS already asked them to try.

edit:
PSS = Product Service and Support

Back