Windows Server 2003 System Q's...

Ur_Mom

Fully [H]
I'm wanting to build a Windows Server 2003 system (Enterprise version, trial).

I have a dually P2-300MHz with 512MB RAM and an ATI AGP video card.

How well would it run (lag in ui, obviously) running a file server? Streaming video, music, etc.? Possibly as much as 10 users.

Also, same system specs, but as a mail/dns/low usage (20 users max) web server? Could it handle that with ease?

It's just to play with mostly, but I have another system I can put it on if I HAVE to... I'd just like to use this dually P2 system, rather than just have it sit there doing nothing.

Great... I think I may have a problem: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319091

Oh well... I guess I can pick up a dually Athlon MP motherboard, make some MP's out of the 2 spare XP 2200+'s I have and go with that. Much faster anyway. :D If the XP->MP trick still works.

New Machine:

(motherboard still in the works) iWill MPX2
2 x Athlon XP(MP) 2200+'s
1GB DDR RAM
1 x 40GB HD (OS)
2 x 250GB HD's in RAID 1 (Storage)

I think the first computer would function well as a light file/web server with a OS that has a bit less overhead.

Let us know how you like 2003 Server. I get it free from school, so I would like to borrow the disc and play around with it at some point.

I help administer a few server 2003 servers in the area, and they are fairly easy to use. Set them up, and they run flawless. Easy to set up different functions. I just need to get one setup for practice stuff and hosting my household stuff. :) I like to play.
:)

It will run OK for basic stuff like file and print sharing, web server, dhcp, dns, etc. It won't run AD and Exchange (AD is required for Exchange) with out taking a crap load of time to boot or process anything.

MorfiusX said:
It will run OK for basic stuff like file and print sharing, web server, dhcp, dns, etc. It won't run AD and Exchange (AD is required for Exchange) with out taking a crap load of time to boot or process anything.

Yea... I'm going to put it on a different machine. I am going to be working with Active Directory and Exchange (going to try 2007 Beta).

Thanks!

MorfiusX said:
Exchange 2007 requires 64bit Windows as it is only a 64bit application.

I already downloaded it. It's the 32 Bit version. (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2007/productevaluation/sysreqs.mspx)

From MS's site:
Code:
32-bit Trial:
•	

Intel Pentium 800 (MHz) or higher processor

64-bit Trial
•	

x64 architecture-based computer with:
•	

Intel Xeon or Intel Pentium Family processor that supports Intel Extended Memory 64 Technology (Intel EM64T) or
•	

AMD Opteron or AMD Athlon 64 processor that supports AMD64 platform

Intel Itanium IA64 processors are not supported

fibroptikl said:
Beaten.

The Beta is available in 32 and 64-bit, but the RTM will be 64-bit only.

Yup. I was wrong. At least it helps push the 64-bit hardware into the mainstream! :)

I guess if you're running Exchange, Windows Server 2003, AD, among others, you'd have decent hardware! ;)

Back