Windows Server 2003 Small Business Server (DELL) - Changing the licensing to standert

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenIT

Limp Gawd
Ok, Hers the story; I purchased for Dell a PowerEdge 420SC with the windows 2003 SBE server, now as you may know if you use the OS Install CD thay provided with the server on any other dell computer it would install, with no serial nessesery.

Now I have a second Domain Controller (DC) that I want to add to my current network and the 2003SBE is the only one curently functionig as the DC.

So I went and i made the second server another DC in the existing network, now the 2003 SBE is complaing about licensing violations, and it shuts itself down and on top of all that is wont sync the domain.

So as i see it i need to "upgrade" this SBE server, and i dont see how i can do that with out haveing to re-do the entire domain (20 users/20 computers) and i dont need to go computer computer and transfer setting for 20 user and computers.

so what i want to know is there any way for me to change the SBE server into a STANDERD server?

Nope. You shouldn't have gone around installing your copy of SBE on more than one computer!

versello said:
Nope. You shouldn't have gone around installing your copy of SBE on more than one computer!
[Insert swear word here] IDOIT READ MY WHOLE POST.

I said that i got 2003 Standerd and wanted to add that to my EXISTING network that runs off a 2003 SBE, now how in the world would I have installed that with the SBE CD'S i got from Dell? are you mentally hadicapped or just like starting flamewars? please reply to things that are in your capacaty.

BenIT said:
[Insert swear word here] IDOIT READ MY WHOLE POST.

I said that i got 2003 Standerd and wanted to add that to my EXISTING network that runs off a 2003 SBE, now how in the world would I have installed that with the SBE CD'S i got from Dell? are you mentally hadicapped or just like starting flamewars? please reply to things that are in your capacaty.
Let me give you a little hint here, noob. This is an internet forum...meaning we can only read what is typed, not what your thinking. In your post, you mentioned the ability to use the same CDs to install SBE on another server.

Now I don't know what you were thinking (My ESP isn't working today), but based on your original post, it seems that you DID use the same CDs on another server. I'd suggest you drop your attitude, and learn how to express yourself clearly, as not to confuse the people YOU ARE asking for help! I'd like to know where you read the rules, and it stated you had the right to come in here, asking for help, and then proceed to flame the first person who tried, simply because you failed to give a detailed, easy to read explanation of the problem! Furthermore, your putting down his knowledge, when in fact, anyone in your position of setting up a domain using Server 2K3 would have known the answer to this question in the first place. So again, I ask you, where did you obtain the right to flame versello?

Of course there's a license violation... but beside that, There can only be 1 SBS server on the network and it must be the PDC..

Yes there is a way for you to migrate from sbe to server2003 but I can tell you with 100% certainty that "you aint gonna like the cost"

http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsServer2003/sbs/techinfo/overview/licensingfaq.mspx#EABAA

scroll down to transition packs..... you never said if you are running sbe2003 standard or premium...because It'll make a ton $$ difference

First off, i reread my first post, and im sorry for beeing so trigger happy, yes i see how i was unclear; so let me clarify:

this office started off with a 2003 SBE (standard i think) cuz this was the cheapest that dell had to offer and the idiot that put it in didnt think that we would grow out of it, so now we needed to put in an additional server, so I went a got one from Dell with the 2003 Standerd and i tryed to trust them and i got all the errors with the licencing violations and all.

so now i have the entire domain bound to the 2003 SBE and i cant do anything. i have 20 users and 20 computers and i am NOT intrested in haveing to reconfigure each and ever one agien (new domain, new user profile, network drives and shares etc.) and looking at the M$ trasition packages ($2,000) that i am not intrested in paying (i got the 2003 standard form dell for $700 with 5 CAL's).

So what i need to know is if it is posibble to upgrade (rather then transide) to 2003 standard or if thats not possible, somhow to backupi the domain setting and copy it over... anything not to have to redo this entire domain...

I hope i made myself clear.

Don't make duplicate threads in multiple forums please.
And watch that trigger finger please, no need to get so upset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back