Windows Server 2003: DHCP Server on certain interface.

fibroptikl

Supreme [H]ardness
I have a lab computer that I would like to use as a DHCP Server. However, I *ONLY* want it to hand out IP's via a specific interface (a second NIC I have).

Is this possible?

Well, it will only hand out DHCP addresses to those on it's network. If you have a totally different network on the other card- it won't be a problem.

What networks do you have on each card?

It will be a different network. Only using it to install some software to RAID subsystems. Cable will only be plugged in for 5 minutes at most (for install and check to see the software works).

The main NIC is our company scheme - 192.168.1.X.

I'll probably use 192.168.2.X or 192.168.4.X (only cause 2 comes after 1 and 4 is my favorite number). Only have like 5 IP's to chose from.

So if the other NIC will only be used for 5 minutes (am I understanding that right)? What difference would it make? You could just disable DHCP for those 5 minutes if you are worried about it (although I don't think its going to mess with it).

1 Computer
2 NIC's

Intel Pro1000MT NIC - Attached to our normal network in the company. 192.168.1.X scheme. Set to get an IP via our DHCP server.

Netgear GA311 NIC - Want to use it to direct connect RAID subsystems to the computer so I can install some software to it. Simply want to plug a cable in from the RAID subsystem to the second NIC (the Netgear), and get an IP. From there I can use the lab computer to push the software to the RAID subsystem.

I can set a static IP on the RAID system, but it takes a restart (around the order of 3 - 4 minutes), plus another restart to set it back to DHCP.

1 Computer
2 NIC's

Intel Pro1000MT NIC - Attached to our normal network in the company. 192.168.1.X scheme. Set to get an IP via our DHCP server.

Netgear GA311 NIC - Want to use it to direct connect RAID subsystems to the computer so I can install some software to it. Simply want to plug a cable in from the RAID subsystem to the second NIC (the Netgear), and get an IP. From there I can use the lab computer to push the software to the RAID subsystem.

I can set a static IP on the RAID system, but it takes a restart (around the order of 3 - 4 minutes), plus another restart to set it back to DHCP.

I don't see why having both set to DHCP would be any problem in this situation. Two totally different networks. Have you tried it yet (IE, did it not work, hence your post)?

The main interface IS set to DHCP.

The problem is running a DHCP server to specifically hand out IP's on a specific interface.

The question to answer is: How can a Windows Server 2003 with a DHCP Server be binded to only hand out IP's on a specific network card or interface.

Open up your DHCP Server Properties, right on the General tab should be a "Discover Interfaces" option. The option below that (Use Interface) allows you to specify which interface it should use, rather than all it can find.

Not at a Server right now, so those steps may not be exact.

Went through the DHCP Management Console and could find nothing - I already did that before I came here.

I don't have any idea, then. I would imagine there should be some sort of setting (possibly during configuration) where you specify network adapters. I have never installed it on a multihomed computer, so I am not entirely sure.

Couldn't you just create some exceptions for the hosts you don't want to be automatically addressed?

Back