Windows Server 2000 / 2003 CAL question

matthew

Gawd
Right now we run windows 2000 server with 10 CALs. We have 9 PCs and 4 printers. Every once in a while, someone gets locked out when they try to access a maped network drive.

I'm somewhat confused by the licenseing scheme, so today after hours I removed 3 of the printers from the Windows Server and reinstalled them on the computers manually (connecting directly to the printer via its IP).

I've been trying to figure out whether or not this is because of the printers or whether its once someone prints and there is a 'connection' thus in high demand times when maybe 3 or 4 people are printing at the same time it creates this problem.

We are going to be purchasing a new server with Small Business Server 2003 (more or less because we want Exchange server) and I am trying to figure out whether we should buy 10 or 15 CALs.

Do printers count? Could it be something else that is causing this problem? In the licensing there is a Per seat and a Per connection (I think?) If we had per-seat (which I don't believe we do) would this elimtate any problems?

Thanks

The only connections that count are the ones that need to "authenticate/log in" to the server

There are 2 different types of licensing from microsoft currently
Per user- This allows 1 user to log in from any number of machines. for example their, work computer and pda and notebook etc etc.. Its basically connected to the person not the hardware

Per device- This allows any number of people to access the network from one specfic machine.. The perfect example is a factory that does shift work.. 3 8hr shifts in a day would have meant 3 licenses 1 for each person.. but with the per device you license the machine and then each shift just logs in as the come to work.

They can be mixed and match and even if you buy the wrong one, you can do a one time conversion to the other.

Back