Windows Server '03 and locking (Win key + L)

dBTelos

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a Windows Server '03 system, and it automatically locks itself after a certain period of time (I think it's a certain period of time, maybe something else triggers it), but this is a problem because I want to VNC to this machine, but you can't unlock the computer from a remote location. So I need a way to disable this Server box from automatically locking itself. If you don't know what I mean by locking, hit the Windows key + L on your keyboard now.

That sort of thing is usually tied to the screensaver timeout, although there are other ways to enable the same kind of lockout.

Go into the Power settings in Control Panel on the server and try disabling the part about requiring a password when waking up from the screensaver.

I have never used VNC, but I am surprised to hear that it does not allow you to provide credentials for resuming a session etc.

Anyway, I would try:
Screensaver -> on resume require password
if that does not work, look into the local security policy.

Doesn't VNC have an option to send ctrl-alt-delete? That should bring up the menu to unlock it. Anyway do what the others have said if you want to disable that.

Back