Windows Serial Key or CAL?

USMCGrunt

2[H]4U
So....I work for a non-profit, and as such, have access to TechSoup.org's outstanding software pricing. I ordered a pair of Server 2012 R2 keys from there and redeemed them through Microsoft's VLSC. I noticed that I received four keys, two of which are MAK and the other two are KMS. What has me curious is that both MAKs have a maximum number of activations of 45. I also see this with some other keys the company has for Server 08/08R2. In fact, I had to reinstall the OS from scratch (it was a disastrous weekend), and when I activated its OS (08R2) the MAK activations for that particular key went from 2/45 to 3/45.

Question being, did Techsoup give me 45 activations per key request as in I have licenses good for 90 2012 R2 Servers?

Followup question, I know about the d-fault.nl's PIDChecker, is there any other good site to use to find out if a key is a CAL or an actual Serial key?

You did not get rights to install 90 copies of Windows server, you got two. You can activate each key 45 times (after that, you have to engage Microsoft).

Don't confuse the ability to activate with rights to install... very different.

And also don't confuse the ability to download and see keys for everything as licensed to do so. Check the license summary and license keys field to see what you really have rights to. Looking under downloads gives you everything, even stuff you can't use.

Back