Windows says my 80gig drive is only 31.5 gigs? help!

rive22

Supreme [H]ardness
I have a Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 80 gig drive that I just got last month. I installed it with the software that came with it, the Ontrack software. Well, I did a full format to the drive just this weekend and didn't install the ontrack software and now windows says it's only 31.5 gigs. When I install the software then it says I have the full 80 gigs. The thing is I don't want this stupid ontrack software installed on my drive because it causes problems and it sucks. What can I do, help?

Also to add, I have one jumper on the drive setting it to master. It is formatted in NTFS. And, I do not have the CLJ or AC settings jumped.

sounds like you used fat32 to format that harddrive...
Winxp likes to used NTFS when you go larger...

well, i formatted the drive with powermax then tried to install and partition it with the windows xp cd rom and when the partition screen came up it said there was only 31.5 gigs of unallocated space available on my whole drive for me to partition on. There were no other partitions on the drive. So I restarted and booted up with maxblast and partitioned it with NTFS. But the only way i can get the full 80 gigs is if the DDO or Ontrack Easymax crap is installed in the beggining of the drive. The thing is though, I know my bios supports large drives, because when I first installed it there was no problem and i didn't need that DDO software to have full access of my drive. Since then I've overclocked and resetted my bios a bunch of times, so do you think maybe that's it? I looked in my bios for something on drive settings sizes but i couldn't find anything. help

Back