Windows remote desktop problem

pdp76

Weaksauce
I regularly remote desktop into my work's computer from home at night. I have Win 7 at home and Win XP on my work desktop. Everything works great except when I come into work the next morning, my monitor at work is on, not in standby. If I don't remote desktop in the night before, then the next morning when I come into work, all is well and the screen is in standby.

I usually do gracefully close the RDP connection by going to "Start->Disconnect" from my conputer at home when I remote in.

I have dual monitors at work but only one monitor at home.

Any ideas how I can get my monitor to go back to standby after remote desktoping in?

Log-off, don't just disconnect. "Start->Log off"
When you disconnect, the logged on session stays open and programs will continue to run.

I second the logging off properly.

IF you leave your session open, you could possibly create multiple session for your login ID and have multiple printers set up on your system. I have that issue with my nurses at my main office. They leave the RDC session open over night have have problems printing th next day...

Log-off, don't just disconnect. "Start->Log off"
When you disconnect, the logged on session stays open and programs will continue to run.
The thing is, I want to leave the programs running to let tests and what not continue overnight until I come back to work the next day. Leaving the programs running is done on purpose, I just want the local monitor at work to go into standby after the preset time of 10min. And I'm sure the running programs have nothing to do with the monitor not going into standby because on the nights I do not RDC in, the monitor properly going into standby with the same programs running.

I second the logging off properly.

IF you leave your session open, you could possibly create multiple session for your login ID and have multiple printers set up on your system. I have that issue with my nurses at my main office. They leave the RDC session open over night have have problems printing th next day...
Would this also interfere with the monitor going into standby? I haven't had any issues with multiple login sessions or printers not working by only disconnecting.

If these problems arise regularly, why would MS even have the disconnect option?

Its not turning off because you are still connected. If you want it off over night, turn the monitor off when you leave.

If you want it off over night, turn the monitor off when you leave.
^^ What I do.
Monkeys 1 through 33 were complete failures....but Monkey34 has it together, and appreceates his God's support. ;) lol

why would MS even have the disconnect option?

I find a disconnect is much faster if I'm in-and-out multiple times during the day, as opposed to a full log-off - especially when I need to leave things open and come back to them.

When you click on disconnect, it's just closing the remote connection and all the running programs will keep running. For example, if you remote, open a web browser and click on disconnect and couple hours later you remote again, that browser window will still be open.

If you want the screen to turn off, you need to click on log off or as Monkey God said, just turn the screen off when you leave work.

Back