A couple months ago I fixed my sisters pc that wouldn't boot and I used the Windows 7 installation disc to run a mbr fix command to get it working. I texted my brother in law then and said the PC was good to go and I was able to fix it using the Windows 7 disk.
They apparently had the same PC issue the other day and he thought he could use the Windows 7 disc to fix it. My sister called me today and said she only saw "windows 7" and her files were gone. When I inspected the computer I could tell Windows was reinstalled. I do not know if they formatted the disk before the reinstall or not.
If the hard drive wasn't reformatted is it possible to recover anything from the previous my documents folders?
I quickly found this on the web http://www.runtime.org/data-recovery-software.htm but don't know if its worth a shot or just a scam.
If anyone has any input or suggestions on how to potentially recover documents/music I would appreciate it. I had them shut the PC off and leave it off until I get another time to see if anything could be done.
Thanks.
They apparently had the same PC issue the other day and he thought he could use the Windows 7 disc to fix it. My sister called me today and said she only saw "windows 7" and her files were gone. When I inspected the computer I could tell Windows was reinstalled. I do not know if they formatted the disk before the reinstall or not.
If the hard drive wasn't reformatted is it possible to recover anything from the previous my documents folders?
I quickly found this on the web http://www.runtime.org/data-recovery-software.htm but don't know if its worth a shot or just a scam.
If anyone has any input or suggestions on how to potentially recover documents/music I would appreciate it. I had them shut the PC off and leave it off until I get another time to see if anything could be done.
Thanks.