Windows Reformatting Problem

Ripped85

Limp Gawd
I had that spyguard/spyaxe virus thing going on and I thought I got rid of it, but I didn't. I tried to reformat several times, and it hasn't let me done that either. It either says it doesn't recognize a HD or theres a corrupt error and windows will reboot to prevent more corruption (something like that, it's in a blue screen)

Anyone know how i can reformat, because I really dont want to have to buy a new hard drive.

You don't format the hard drive that is being used while within windows.

I did do that, and I get the critical error after it loads at the beginning...or it says it doesn't recognize the HD.

IceDigger said:
You need to boot from the windows cd not in windows from the cd.
Dude, that's what he's saying....when installing Windows it gives you the option to reformat a partition first, and then install, and I'm sure that's what the OP was talking about. Pertaining to the topic at hand, I'm not sure what could be causing this. Wait for more replies.

If so sounds like it could be a bad hard drive. Run a diagnostic on it.

Hitachi Drive Fitness Test is pretty good and works on all drives. Run the exerciser and see if you get a red error screen.

Is it an SATA drive? If so, you may need the drivers for your SATA controller on a floppy to be able to access the drive during the Windows setup.

i had a problem similar to yours once, OP

the machine kept blue screening on me just before i got to the screen to delete the partition, etc.

do you have a 2000 disk to try? or consider killdisk:

http://www.killdisk.com/

Try going to the website for the maker of your harddrive and downloading the utility that will write all zeros to the harddrive. This may then allow you to format it.

its been a long time since i DLed killdisk, but back then they had a bootable iso. so, if they still have that, just burn it to a CD

Back