Windows Re-Install Question

RLich8

Limp Gawd
Some of you guys may have seen my other thread on my processor being at 100% usage all the time. I ended up re-installing Windows XP.

Anyways, I've got a new problem on my plate (Go figure). I have my c:\ partitioned to 10 gigabytes. Before the re-install, it had like 4.5 something gigabytes free on that drive. After the re-install, now there's only like 2.4 gigabytes free, but there's less files.

What did I mess up?

I did that a long time ago when I was building the computer. I always just had my windows installed on my C:\ partition, and everything else on my E:\.

The partition worked fine before.

*smacks forehead*

This isn't going to cause either error, but there's no reason to make a tiny C partition and install everything else on another partition. Never has there been a good reason for this, nor does it even make sense logically, and it blows my mind wondering why anyone does this...but I digress.

Now to your issue, did you just re-install, or did you clear the partition and refrmat, or just re-install XP over itself? If you just did the re-install, you have nothing to lose, so I'd clear the drive completely, and install XP again with a better partitioning scheme.

maybe your pagefile has either increased, or it was on D: on the previous installation. and now it's on C, thus the explanation why the free space is less now.

Check your virtual memory

Never has there been a good reason for this, nor does it even make sense logically, and it blows my mind wondering why anyone does this...but I digress.

Corrup windows installation, forced to reinstall. You can still keep your other partition with all your data on it after the reinstall. Sounds logical to me.

Hawk001 said:
Corrup windows installation, forced to reinstall. You can still keep your other partition with all your data on it after the reinstall. Sounds logical to me.
Storing data on a separate partition/drive makes very good sense. Installing apps and games to a separate partition is worthless.

djnes said:
Storing data on a separate partition/drive makes very good sense. Installing apps and games to a separate partition is worthless.
That was exactly my reasoning. All my documents, pictures, multimedia, and other data is on my E:\.

I'll just do the format and reinstall.

I thought you meant you were installing apps to another partition. Having your data separate is a great idea. If the drive is bigger, consider making the partition much larger than 10 GB.

djnes said:

I support that, I never said I did'nt.

RLich8 said:
That was exactly my reasoning. All my documents, pictures, multimedia, and other data is on my E:\.

I'll just do the format and reinstall.
So what is d:\?

Why is c:\ so small?

(again) Why did you partition in the first place?

Hawk001, the implied thinking here is with a 10GB partition, it's OS only.

OP, if you answer my questions we can help you more.

The computer is all straightened out. It works just as it did a few weeks ago, super fast and spotless.

C:\ is my Windows partition, os only.
E:\ is my data partition.

That's just the way I like to do it. I don't care if there's no benefit to it. It leaves my mind at peace knowing that my data is safe.

Back