Windows program to "FORCE" a xeon's turbo multi??

newls1

Supreme [H]ardness
I just finished building my server pc (Asrock dual skt 2011-3 motherboard, dual xeon e5 2670 v3's, 64gb ram, 980ti, both xeons watercooled with custom watercooling, etc..) My question is this, when i use 1 of my 2670 v3's in a x99 motherboard, im able to have them operate @ 2.5ghz as they use the turbo multi, but in this server board, they default to the regular multi of 2.1ghz... Im not complaining, as 24 cores 48threads @ 2.1ghz is amazing BUT...... I could have sworn I remember there being a software program that would allow me to force the use of a turbo multi @ windows startup..... anyone help me here PLEASE!!

i found it... was called throttlestop, and works GREAT! Can finally force my turbo multi's on BOTH xeon cpus on this server motherboard.. WOOHOO!! 24c/48t @ 2.5GHz now... sweet! almost got a 3000 point score on cinebench15

This thread explains how the V3 Xeon versions can have the BIOS CPU microcode hacked to allow "all" the cores to run at full turbo multis.

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/what-controls-turbo-core-in-xeons.2496647/

I'm running a Xeon E5-2690V3 on an ASRock Extreme6 base 26 multiplier and turbo 35. By stripping out the CPU microcode from the BIOS and then loading a hacked CPU microcode back into the same BIOS file, I am running at 35 multi on all 12 cores at once for most normal things (certain CPU instruction sets AVX2 will still drop the multiplier several bins) if all the cores are in use).

My Cinibench R15 score went from 1907 to 2175 ~12% increase by allowing the all the cores to run at a full 35 mutliplier instead of the normal 29 when all the cores are loaded.

forcing all core Turbo is not that important, as most workloads will cause all core Turbo to kick in anyway; that hack to force single core Turbo is interesting though...

Not sure what you mean as not important? With larger number core Xeon's, a load on all cores will never see them run all at once over 30 muliplier. 12 cores @ 3.5-3.6Ghz simultaneously and continuously is always better than 12 cores @ 3Ghz or lower.. There are no standard newer Xeon's that will normally run all the cores at a simultaneous max multiplier.

For example, the OP is running at 25 multi. However his max turbo multi on that CPU is 31. 24 cores able to run at full turbo 3.1Ghz simultaneously beats heck out of 24 cores @ 2.5Ghz simultaneously..

Last edited:
Not sure what you mean as not important? With larger number core Xeon's, a load on all cores will never see them run all at once over 30 muliplier. 12 cores @ 3.5-3.6Ghz simultaneously and continuously is always better than 12 cores @ 3Ghz or lower.. There are no standard newer Xeon's that will normally run all the cores at a simultaneous max multiplier.

For example, the OP is running at 25 multi. However his max turbo multi on that CPU is 31. 24 cores able to run at full turbo 3.1Ghz simultaneously beats heck out of 24 cores @ 2.5Ghz simultaneously..
These are "ES" Xeons, the multi is a little different then a retail one. Without this program called "ThrottleStop" I was only @ 2.1ghz across all cores, so im happy with 2.5 but these ES's seem to have a 27multi but I cant seem to get that fast for whatever reason

sorry what I meant was that forcing "all core" (lowest turbo multiplier) is unimportant since most Xeons will run at that multiplier under load, but being able to force max single core multi on all 14 cores is pretty exciting.
digging through that anandtech thread a bit:

--seems to work best on ASRock boards, should be possible on all other models though - just requires more effort
--there is some sort of turbo offset baked into at least the HCC CPUs, such that you can only get max turbo multi on 10c or less; past 10 cores you lose 1 multiplier for every two additional cores
--AVX2 (but not AVX) causes moderate to severe downclocking

i found it... was called throttlestop, and works GREAT! Can finally force my turbo multi's on BOTH xeon cpus on this server motherboard.. WOOHOO!! 24c/48t @ 2.5GHz now... sweet! almost got a 3000 point score on cinebench15
Tried this program on a dell T7810 with E5 2683 v3 X2, no change. What's the secret to getting to to force the turbo multis?? Read through the guide and learned nothing about how to use it. Thanks!

Back