Windows Power Management vs. HTPC

beowulf7

[H]F Junkie
My Dell HTPC came w/ Windows Vista, which is what I'm still using. I bought a Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1950 TV tuner (USB2 connected) and am using SnapStream Beyond TV for the DVR app. If my HTPC goes into sleep or hibernate state, will it wake up automatically to record scheduled TV shows? Or do I need to disabled Windows Power Management and run it 24/7? What's your experience w/ power management when it comes to TV recording? Thanks.

anyone else re-read that a few times trying to figure out why he's "suing SnapStream"?

Sorry, got nothing else to add right now..

it should wake up, but test it.....

also why use beyondtv when you have VMC?

The OP's post is really, uh, funny. I can't really tell what's going. lol

LOL @ "suing". I meant "using". :eek: I was wondering if Beyond TV could wake up Windows Vista from a sleep or hibernate state. I'm going to test it tonight to see if it records "24" and will report back.

Adidas, I already have a licensed version of Beyond TV and am pretty comfortable with that. I used it on another PC when I had SD Dish service. I dropped it and now just have OTA HD with a new Hauppauge TV tuner. I'm not familiar w/ VMC. :confused:

VMC is pretty easy to use and we just find it weird that you're using Beyond TV (or bought it for this build) if you also had VMC which is pretty much free to use.

Either way, hibernation works and your PVR app will wake up the system when it needs to record something. All you need to do is keep the system on (just don't shut it off), it's still on even if it's asleep.

VMC is pretty easy to use and we just find it weird that you're using Beyond TV (or bought it for this build) if you also had VMC which is pretty much free to use.

Either way, hibernation works and your PVR app will wake up the system when it needs to record something. All you need to do is keep the system on (just don't shut it off), it's still on even if it's asleep.

I just realized when you said "VMC", you meant Vista Media Center. I have Vista Home Basic, which AFAIK, doesn't include Media Center. I bought my copy of Beyond TV for my other box a couple years ago, which has Windows XP Pro. Now that I bought this HTPC (Dell Vostro 220s Slim Tower), I transferred my license to it.

Thanks, that's great to know that Beyond TV should be able to wake up Windows Vista to record the TV shows (assuming Vista doesn't crash :eek:!). I'd prefer not to waste all that electricity just to record a couple hours per day.

yeah basic doesnt have VMC, i used beyondtv prior to vista as well and the server/client ability is totally missing from VMC

CrimandEvil, you're right. Beyond TV woke up my HTPC to record a TV show ("24") tonight. :cool: I had one slight problem that is not really HTPC related but I believe HDMI related. I've read that sometimes the handshaking between the video card's HDMI output and the A/V receiver's HDMI input is not always reliable. Well, that bug apparently hit my system. I suppose the only (workaround) solution is to either reboot the PC (in the blind since nothing is displayed on the TV) or unplug and replug its HDMI cable. : \

Back