Windows Phone 7.8

Yeah I sure wish every company would just support and produce every product they have ever made for infinity, regardless of market trends or success.

I get what you're trying to say but how much of a real chance did they give most of those products? They killed the Kin within 12 weeks or so of initial launch? It's hard to tell anything at all about a product in that time.

Zune was actually both a good product and a good ecosystem but Microsoft couldn't figure out how to market it properly? That's not the products' fault...

I get what you're trying to say but how much of a real chance did they give most of those products? They killed the Kin within 12 weeks or so of initial launch? It's hard to tell anything at all about a product in that time.

Zune was actually both a good product and a good ecosystem but Microsoft couldn't figure out how to market it properly? That's not the products' fault...

Microsoft didn't kill the kin, Verizon did because they were dumb enough to charge full data plan prices for a non-smartphone and nobody wanted to buy it. Back then nobody was going to fork out an additional $30 per teenager a month. It wasn't the best product anyway, but Verizon easily takes at least half the blame on that one. They were the ones that actually cancelled it as well. As for Zune, it's the same thing as the iPod/iPhone. The media player market is dwindling because people just use their smartphones instead, so ending that line made sense as well in order to redirect resources towards Windows Phone, a very Zune-like successor. For it to properly compete they'd have to do a ton of reworking and as mentioned before the media player market is already dwindling so why waste resources.

Microsoft didn't kill the kin, Verizon did because they were dumb enough to charge full data plan prices for a non-smartphone and nobody wanted to buy it. Back then nobody was going to fork out an additional $30 per teenager a month. It wasn't the best product anyway, but Verizon easily takes at least half the blame on that one. They were the ones that actually cancelled it as well. As for Zune, it's the same thing as the iPod/iPhone. The media player market is dwindling because people just use their smartphones instead, so ending that line made sense as well in order to redirect resources towards Windows Phone, a very Zune-like successor. For it to properly compete they'd have to do a ton of reworking and as mentioned before the media player market is already dwindling so why waste resources.

Device consolidation is a huge thing. PDA + music player + phone + camera = modern day smart phone...

I think this pic sums it up best:

Now we can carry all this in our pocket

Yeah I sure wish every company would just support and produce every product they have ever made for infinity, regardless of market trends or success.

Not sure about the whole list, but my HTC Titan is 13 months old and it appears that even the cable trick won't give it 7.8. MS, AT&T, and HTC have been a comedy of errors.

Not sure about the whole list, but my HTC Titan is 13 months old and it appears that even the cable trick won't give it 7.8. MS, AT&T, and HTC have been a comedy of errors.

For the cable trick to work it has to be ready and waiting on the servers. Only the Lumia ones are I'm told, and the unlocked versions overseas. Just do this, it works great.

http://www.wpcentral.com/tool-make-installing-windows-phone-78-update-easier

No hacks, but it will just give you the OS not any additional firmware updates that HTC might release eventually.

I've now updated two HTC Trophy's, an LG quantum, and an HTC Titan all to 7.8 with the Seven-Eighter tool. So easy, if you can't wait give it a shot.

I just updated my unlocked HTC Titan as well using the Seven-Eighter tool. was pretty easy. just let it run ad do its thing.

It will crash after it finishes each patch, just close it and start it up again.

I just sold my Titan 2 too. Oh well its still EOL and I need a Android or iOS phone to control my security system.

I just updated a dell venue pro to 7.8; selected all languages and updated everything it was a breeze and no crashes work perfectly. I did this with SEVENEIGHTER

Thanks Pueblo, going to try tonight on my ATT Titan 1 and if successful, I'll try it on the wife's ATT Focus Flash.

Fingers crossed, running the utility on ATT Titan.

Anyone know how many language packs you need to select for a Focus Flash? I did all of them on the Titan.

EDIT: Also, no crashing so far and it has at least one patch done. I right clicked and ran as administrator, if that helps.

EDIT EDIT: Windows 7 x64

Also, carrier locked devices.

"Crashed" once, but it worked great. Seems to have saved all settings and everything. Great!

Fingers crossed, running the utility on ATT Titan.

Anyone know how many language packs you need to select for a Focus Flash? I did all of them on the Titan.

Settings --> Region + Language and look under Display language.

Seems like I only notice 2 changes:

1) Finally get to stop egregiously wasting space on the home screen with the gutter on the right hand side, and also get to make tiles smaller, which is awesome.

2) Can no longer pause and go to next track from the lock screen, which kind of sucks.

Seems like I only notice 2 changes:

1) Finally get to stop egregiously wasting space on the home screen with the gutter on the right hand side, and also get to make tiles smaller, which is awesome.

2) Can no longer pause and go to next track from the lock screen, which kind of sucks.

I just checked and I'm still able to pause and skip tracks from the lock screen...

I just checked and I'm still able to pause and skip tracks from the lock screen...

Do you have to hit the volume rocker first? In WP7, the artist, track name, pause, forward, and back were permanent fixtures on the lock screen. Basically just white text superimposed on your background. Now I have to hit volume rocker and have that black box slide down first.

Do you have to hit the volume rocker first? In WP7, the artist, track name, pause, forward, and back were permanent fixtures on the lock screen. Basically just white text superimposed on your background. Now I have to hit volume rocker and have that black box slide down first.

No, I just hit the power/lock button, the screen comes on and the box drops down. Now, if I pause it, then later hit the lock screen, I have to hit the volume button first.

No, I just hit the power/lock button, the screen comes on and the box drops down. Now, if I pause it, then later hit the lock screen, I have to hit the volume button first.

I see, yeah it does that for me too. I liked it just permanently on the lock screen. Oh well.

Back