Windows Network Share Problem

gta95

Limp Gawd
I have a share running on a Windows 2000 Pro machine, and it always asks for a password when someone is trying to access. I have been going with this for 2-3 months, but now its getting annoying. How do I make it stop asking for a password?

1. If the machine is in a domain then give the share the propper permissions.

2. If the machine is not a member of a domain and is part of a workgroup all you need to do is create an account on the machine(s) that need access to the share. Make sure the account has the same password on both machines. This will allow for connectivity.

Example:
Computer Name Username Password
ComputerA rusty.shackleford somepassword
ComputerB rusty.shackleford somepassword

Note that both usernames are identical, as are their passwords. On the machine that has the share give the user account rusty.shackleford permission to the folder, lets say that is computer A. When you log in to ComputerB login with the user name and password above and it will allow you to connect to the share without promting for a password. Hope this helps. Good luck!

So your saying create a Username/Pass on the server identical to the one of the machines trying to access it?

gta95 said:
So your saying create a Username/Pass on the server identical to the one of the machines trying to access it?

yes or if you don't care about security change the local policy on the machine to include Anonymous users in the Everyone group.

oakfan52 said:
yes or if you don't care about security change the local policy on the machine to include Anonymous users in the Everyone group.

Where do I go for that?

I would recommend the password route. :) That is alot more secure....

To change the GPO click Start then Run type "gpedit.msc".

Expand Computer Configuration
Expand Security Settings
Expand Secuirity Options
Then find the policy "Network Access: Let Everyone Permissions apply to anonymous logins."

After you make changes to the policy you need to reboot or click on Start then Run and type "gpupdate" and click OK. This will refresh the local policies that are on the machine.

That should do it.

Axeldoomeyer said:
I would recommend the password route. :) That is alot more secure....

To change the GPO click Start then Run type "gpedit.msc".

Expand Computer Configuration
Expand Security Settings
Expand Secuirity Options
Then find the policy "Network Access: Let Everyone Permissions apply to anonymous logins."

After you make changes to the policy you need to reboot or click on Start then Run and type "gpupdate" and click OK. This will refresh the local policies that are on the machine.

That should do it.

Its just accross the network, why would security be an issue?

Security should always be an issue. If you network is attacked from the outside, you wouldn't want people to gain access to your files, I just think that security should always be in mind. IMHO

Ok, ill just create the accounts like you said. Thanks for the help!

Axeldoomeyer said:
1. If the machine is in a domain then give the share the propper permissions.

2. If the machine is not a member of a domain and is part of a workgroup all you need to do is create an account on the machine(s) that need access to the share. Make sure the account has the same password on both machines. This will allow for connectivity.

Example:
Computer Name Username Password
ComputerA rusty.shackleford somepassword
ComputerB rusty.shackleford somepassword

Note that both usernames are identical, as are their passwords. On the machine that has the share give the user account rusty.shackleford permission to the folder, lets say that is computer A. When you log in to ComputerB login with the user name and password above and it will allow you to connect to the share without promting for a password. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Awesome username example, BTW.

Thanks... Acually I understand the concept, but I had a brain fart and couldn't come up with the words to describe it. I find examples much easier to follow. Personally, I am a graphical learner.

Back