Windows Mixed Reality Gets a Mixed Reality Flashlight in Latest Insider's Build

cageymaru

Fully [H]
Windows 10 Insider's Preview Build 17723 adds a 'Mixed Reality Flashlight' feature for Windows Mixed Reality (WMR) owners. This allows WMR users to activate the camera in the headset to see what's in their environment via a button press, Start menu, or a voice command. No more dropping your controllers on the floor by accident when trying to set them down to remove your headset! Well no more excuses...

Today we are excited to announce that we are adding the ability to peer into your physical environment through Flashlight – without removing your headset! With the latest Windows Insider Program build, you can open a portal into your real world at any time via the Start menu, a button shortcut, or a voice command. This opens a low-latency pass-through camera feed connected to your controller. It’s comfortable, intuitive, and keeps you immersed.

what kind of asshole stands right in front of you when you are using VR?

on a different note, where is the hololens?

Thought that was still the dev version. Didn’t realize that was them selling it.
I believe that they sell the Hololens to companies like Ford, Chevrolet, etc for modeling products in VR and other specialized purposes. Don't hold my feet to the fire on that though. ;)

I believe that they sell the Hololens to companies like Ford, Chevrolet, etc for modeling products in VR and other specialized purposes. Don't hold my feet to the fire on that though. ;)

That could be. They seem to have the $3000 dev version then $5000 commercial business version with extra support. So it does seem like they are aiming right now for big business.

That could be. They seem to have the $3000 dev version then $5000 commercial business version with extra support. So it does seem like they are aiming right now for big business.
No, the thing is effectively vapor. These mythical "industrial applications" don't really exist beyond a few units here and there that MS sent out free to some companies, and the device would get a big laugh on arrival once people tried it and realized the FOV was so small as to be unworkable ("mailslot" as it's commonly said).

So evaluators have quietly told MS to let them know when that's improved. However, guys like Phil Spencer have used guarded language to say it's probably not going to be possible (to increase the FOV significantly).

Hololens is already shelved internally at MS, the last they said was that they would "skip a v2 and try to do a v3", but with the way MS has pivoted away from all consumer products internally and put all their eggs in the Azure basket, I wouldn't count on a new Hololens ever.

Back