Windows Media running in background

Snakekilla

Limp Gawd
I can't seem to make it stop. I "End Task" it tons of times it keeps coming back, I use other software to "Kill the process" still comes back. I also checked all the options in windows media to not run anything in the background, pretty much everything is off. What can I do to keep this darn thing to not run in the background?

running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Is it hurting something? I've never heard of it having a negative effect...

It's probably the service that manages your library or shraes. It's pretty nice if you use it as your DLNA server. Go into Computer Management and shutdown/disable the Windows Media services, should be a couple of them.

well it's using a majority of my RAM for some reason and CPU. Slowing down my system.

update: I disabled it, now my system much more smoother THANK YOU !!!

Last edited:
okay it's back... even when it's disabled. Is it possible to uninstall windows media or reinstall it if that would help?

Have you got a G15 keyboard? I figured out that Windows Media Player integrates with a G15 via Slideshow, and that is what keeps it open in the back ground (so if you close a video, and then click WMP, it will be paused where you were last watching the vid).

You can disable the slideshow service to stop that behaviour, the only reason I figured this out is because I was playing with slideshow, disabled it and WMP would actually quit when I closed it, but I like that feature so I re-enabled slideshow.

what's the service name? I've disabled all windows media crap.... so it's not that.

Has the thought ever crossed your mind that maybe it's trying to do something and by continuing to kill it, your not letting it finish? If it's a 24/7 thing, then yes, somethings wrong. But if it's something that you just need to let it do it's thing, whether it's indexing or adjusting libraries or something, then let it finish.

adjusting libraries, that may take weeks since have 3-4 TBs worth of media on my system... *_*

Have you got a G15 keyboard? I figured out that Windows Media Player integrates with a G15 via Slideshow, and that is what keeps it open in the back ground (so if you close a video, and then click WMP, it will be paused where you were last watching the vid).

You can disable the slideshow service to stop that behaviour, the only reason I figured this out is because I was playing with slideshow, disabled it and WMP would actually quit when I closed it, but I like that feature so I re-enabled slideshow.

Yeah I also have a G15 keyboard and it took me awhile to figure this out too. It was so annoying because I'm working on this media center project where I'm ripping all of my CDs and DVDs into my BlackArmor. Before moving the rips into the BlackArmor, I test it first in WMP and then close it.

When I would move the files over, I would constantly get "File is in use - try again, skip, cancel". I'd have to open Task Manager and end wmplayer.exe and one other file under it, I forget the name of it, but it begins with wmpxxxxxx.exe

That was SO annoying.

what's the service name? I've disabled all windows media crap.... so it's not that.

I don't remember, but I'm not using my Logitech keyboard software anymore. I used to have it because it I thought it was pretty cool to see your game stats on the keyboard's screen, but that novelty wore out after awhile.

Its not a service, go to the start menu and type "sideshow" it should be the first thing to pop up, open it and untick WMP (or everything if you just want it off).

Its not a service, go to the start menu and type "sideshow" it should be the first thing to pop up, open it and untick WMP (or everything if you just want it off).

this fix it, thanks a lot.. hopefully this stupid program stays dead.

Yeah I also have a G15 keyboard and it took me awhile to figure this out too. It was so annoying because I'm working on this media center project where I'm ripping all of my CDs and DVDs into my BlackArmor. Before moving the rips into the BlackArmor, I test it first in WMP and then close it.

When I would move the files over, I would constantly get "File is in use - try again, skip, cancel". I'd have to open Task Manager and end wmplayer.exe and one other file under it, I forget the name of it, but it begins with wmpxxxxxx.exe

That was SO annoying.

Ditto

Trouble deleting files (would say "calculating" forever) forever until I found out wmplayer.exe wasn't shutting down. End tasking would allow me to delete the file. Was doing that for about a month.

You know what else would happen? Sometimes I'd get the sound of my last video playing, when I hit the play key on my G15, or on my new remote control, for media monkey. That can be embarassing ;)

Finally stumbled into the G15 / sideshow fix a couple of days ago. Did the trick.

Back