Windows Media Player Will Not Install/Work

FtLonger

n00b
Well i just reformatted my comp last night and I was updating everything today through windows update, as usual. But after Winows Media Player 10 was installed, I tried to listen to an MP3 and it had an error: "an internal application error has occured" so I thought, ok no problem, nothing a reinstall of Windows Media Player 10 wont fix. Well i downloaded the WMP10 installer from MS website and tried to install it and it made me "agree" to use it and then it set a system restore point and then I got this error message: "It was not possible to complete setup. Windows Media Player 10 was not installed. To update windows, run Windows Media Player 10 setup again. Well I do that and it does the same thing over and over, tried rebooting and tried installing again and still nothing. Anyone have a solution for this or that could tell me how to uninstall WMP 10 so I can reinstall it? I'm up for anything

The first thing to do is to start -> run -> dxdiags.

The nest thing to do is to download the 'network' download of MP9.

Does it play .mp3 files from the basic media player? Does it play sound at all? Are the sound drivers installed?

And lastly, since you did a fresh install, did you install SP2 before trying to get on the 'net? Did you install or turn on the firewall and install anti-virus software?

Yes this is a windows XP install, and when I do a fresh install I ALWAYS make sure the only thing I do is activate the OS and then update untill its all finished then I install drivers for crucial system hardware (bios, motherboard, video card etc etc) then I move on to programs.
And when I clicked on an MP3 to play all i got was the error and nothing. I have all the newest audio drivers installed and sound works fine right now. And excuse my ignorance but what do i do once i run a DXdiag? And if you could be so kind as to point me in the direction of a link for the WMP9 Network installer?

I would do a complete uninstall, reboot, reinstall. (if you haven't already)

I would love to uninstall WMP but I dont know how, it doesnt come up in the add/remove programs list... I downloaded the WMP 9 from MS but it gave me the same internal error message (dont know if it was the network installer that was mentioned)

Go to Windows Update, then go to the installation history. You should be able to uninstall it that way.

ok I was silly and found out how to uninstall it and I did so, then I tried to reinstall it and I got the same error again.... Unable to install blah blah... any way to make sure its actually uninstalling?

Back