Windows Media Player 11 - old interface?

evandena

Limp Gawd
So I'm trying to install WMP 11 at work, and I cannot get the slick black interface.
I'm running XP SP2, with no restrictive domain policies.
I can't even figure out how to find my library in this nasty mode.

Here's what it looks like, ignore paint's stupid non-cropping:

2002817778917604505_rs.jpg

Your first sentence has me confused on whether WMP11 was successfully installed.
- If so, then go here from the menu bar: View >> Skin Chooser
- If not, then what's the error?

Sorry for the confusion. Yes, WMP11 installed just fine. The program reports Version 11.0.5721.5145.
I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling multiple times.

I have no View >> Skins.

I have Tools >> Downloads >> Skins, but that leads me to a MS page with nasty skins on it.

See if there's an update to WMP11, I'm showing a slightly newer version number:

Regardless, I don't think that the menu has changed much at all in the minor version differences of v11. That menu is there, just make sure you're in "Full" mode and not "Skin" ode (from the "View" menu). You may need to press <ALT> in some skins to get the full menu to appear, or enable the "Classic Menus" from the "View" menu (again, only in "Full" mode).

I have no Full Mode in the view menu. I've searched high and low in every option...

Here is the view menu:
2002244503110490536_rs.jpg

I see no screenshots whatsoever, in any post of this thread.

Meh, it's the office firewall and content filtering that's preventing me from seeing the screenshots (silly me for trying to help a community during my lunch hour).

I'll look again later tonight at home if this thread still has not been resolved...

I have no Full Mode in the view menu. I've searched high and low in every option...

Here is the view menu:
2002244503110490536_rs.jpg

That mode is called the Corporate Mode. You can switch back to full mode clicking the barely visible icon under the Close button (X)

untitled.jpg

That mode is called the Corporate Mode. You can switch back to full mode clicking the barely visible icon under the Close button (X)

untitled.jpg

I thought that might have something to do with it.
Problem is, that button does nothing. Maybe that feature is locked down... guess it's time to wipe the machine and go rogue.

If your computer needs to be on the company domain, wiping it won't solve anything as once you get back on the domain, you're locked down again.

You should ask your admin to kindly modify the GPO to allow different Media Player settings. I can't think of any reason offhand why they would lock this down except if your machines are on blade servers running in virtualization mode, and they're conserving processing power.

Edit: before talking to the admin, check your computer's own GPO. Maybe it was locked down locally and you didn't know. Go to Start, then Run, then type gpedit.msc to launch your GPO editor.

If your computer needs to be on the company domain, wiping it won't solve anything as once you get back on the domain, you're locked down again.

You should ask your admin to kindly modify the GPO to allow different Media Player settings. I can't think of any reason offhand why they would lock this down except if your machines are on blade servers running in virtualization mode, and they're conserving processing power.

Edit: before talking to the admin, check your computer's own GPO. Maybe it was locked down locally and you didn't know. Go to Start, then Run, then type gpedit.msc to launch your GPO editor.

That fixed it! I'm domain admin, so maybe that's why it let me change it.

Thanks for all your help.

Back