Windows ME system.ini periodically vanishes

number69

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi, I have a problem in my Windows ME where the system.ini file will periodically vanish. I stick the startup floppy in and do a scanreg /restore and it replaces the system.ini file and all is well. I run Window Washer 6 once in a while to clear temp files and I am now wondering if this is the cause of the problem. Nothing else I can think of would possibly cause this. I scanned with AVG, Trend Micro online, and A-Squared and came up clean and scanned for spyware and same deal, clean.

Any ideas?

There is a reason M$ would like to forget about Windows ME. I have seen other just random problems that were only ever fixed by installing a different OS. I know it might not be the answer your were looking for, but I would strongly consider moving to something else. Windows 98 is even better than ME IMO.

Even so, you would prolly be better served getting rid of WinME.. If you absolutley need or want 9x compatibility for some program or another that just will not run right under XP, I would suggest Win98SE.. On your sys.ini vanishing.. Is it being deleted, or just hidden? What are the things you are doing just prior to the dissapearance? Running an antivirus scan, or junk file cleaning utility? Updating windows?

Are you running Windows washer from XP or from ME.. If you are doing it from XP it may just bre deleting it or quaranteening it as a redundant file.. I'm not familiar with windows washer6.. It may have a setting in it somewhere that will have it ignore files you tell it to.. Tell it to ignore sys.ini if it does and see if that fixes your problem..

GORANKAR said:
Even so, you would prolly be better served getting rid of WinME.. If you absolutley need or want 9x compatibility for some program or another that just will not run right under XP, I would suggest Win98SE.. On your sys.ini vanishing.. Is it being deleted, or just hidden? What are the things you are doing just prior to the dissapearance? Running an antivirus scan, or junk file cleaning utility? Updating windows?

Are you running Windows washer from XP or from ME.. If you are doing it from XP it may just bre deleting it or quaranteening it as a redundant file.. I'm not familiar with windows washer6.. It may have a setting in it somewhere that will have it ignore files you tell it to.. Tell it to ignore sys.ini if it does and see if that fixes your problem..

I have Window Washer 6 installed on Windows ME and am running it from there. I don't share programs between the two OS's.

It just happens randomly, I have no idea what is causing it, like I said the system came up clean.

Either way I think I may just ace ME and be done with it.

AMDXPCottonFire22 said:
Just get Windows XP ;)

Again it's a dual boot..me/xp.

I've had ME on here forever and when I installed XP years ago I wanted to make sure I liked it and just let it install on a seperate partition(seperate physical drive), hence the dual boot.

As I mentioned I think it's time I just aced ME, since I don't really use it.

Yep...lose it and forget it like bad amnesia. I wish there was a better alternative, but I've seen only 1 computer that was stable with WinME. And that 1...well, it confounded him too but he didn't complain.

Back