Windows May update 21H1

Finally got around to trying Group Policy. The wording is a bit different, but for 21H1, setting group policy to disable does nothing. After rebooting, I'm still prompted for my PIN. I have the "sign in options" that let's me switch to my password 21H1, I have no way of killing the PIN code requirement.

well, then either rebuild or use netplwiz to bypass it i guess.

I have a NIC on the way that will let me disable the onboard NIC and not have to deal with those issues. Possibly, this will be a solution during a clean install. I have absolutely noticed that with each revision, the PIN requirement has become more and more enforced.

This was only my second build of 21H1, but the first was domain joined. It is easily over 100 clean installs of Windows 10 I've done on non-domain joined systems, and this is the first one I couldn't bypass.

I have a NIC on the way that will let me disable the onboard NIC and not have to deal with those issues. Possibly, this will be a solution during a clean install. I have absolutely noticed that with each revision, the PIN requirement has become more and more enforced.

This was only my second build of 21H1, but the first was domain joined. It is easily over 100 clean installs of Windows 10 I've done on non-domain joined systems, and this is the first one I couldn't bypass.
none of the installs(hundreds) i have done in the last year have required a pin. there is something screwy with that system. i dont think a new nic is going to fix it.

I've had a number of systems with 20H2 that needed the "forget PIN" trick to remove it. Previous builds, all configured the same way, same setup process, would require the PIN, but the Remove button was usable. Simple removal. It's gotten progressively more restrictive and I've been able to find others on other forums seeing the same behavior. Maybe it's because I'm dipping my toes into the non-server Linux world, but users should be able to easily choose their method of login authentication in a non-domain setting. This is a disturbing trend, and I'm a staunch supporter of the Windows side.

Windows just "forced" me to install the 2004 "feature update". Now the option to defer feature updates is gone. So I assume when I allow it to check for updates next time, it will force the 21H1 tripe down my throat, and even less control over this OS with it.

I always do this to semi-control when updates are installed on my Win10Pro systems:
gpedit -> Local Computer Policy -> Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Update
Find "Configure Automatic Updates". It will be "Not configured" by default.
Double-click it to open the config window.
Change to "Enabled" and under Options, set "Configure automatic updating" to "2 - Notify for download and auto install". Leave everything else under that alone.
Click OK, quit out of gpedit and reboot.

This setting results in notifications periodically popping up from Windows Update saying there are updates to install (like normal), but it won't install them until I want to, when I want to.
I can go to Settings -> Update and Security -> Windows Update and look at what updates are available without Windows forcing the installation of those updates. I can either click on the "Download" button to install the updates (I cannot pick and choose which ones, mind you), or just close the Settings window and ignore the notification and updates. Sure, Windows can get pesty about update notifications, especially for Windows Defender virus updates, but I can just ignore them until I'm ready to install. I do this all the time on my work laptop. I have updates pending for it right now, even to the point that the bottom taskbar has the Windows Update icon showing with a red spot which means "really really important updates need to be installed!", but I'll probably install the updates after work Friday night or over the weekend, when I feel like it. "Windows sit. Windows stay. Good Windows."

thats a good way to stop it too^^

especially for Windows Defender virus updates, but I can just ignore them until I'm ready to install
if you go into defender you can update from there and windows update will stop bugging about that one.

Reactions: Azrak
like this
It's interesting to see just how much of this Microsoft authoritarianism people will tolerate.

It's interesting to see just how much of this Microsoft authoritarianism people will tolerate.

Equally as much as Google and Apple. (Hey, you cannot even remove the Covid crap from the phone you paid for, you have zero say in what goes on it.)

How can I make WIN + Pause bring up normal control panel Advanced system properties instead of the stupid win10 ghettro "About" screen? (yes theres a link on the right for it after that but it disgusts me to even have to see it for 2 sec)

Thanks.

How can I make WIN + Pause bring up normal control panel Advanced system properties instead of the stupid win10 ghettro "About" screen? (yes theres a link on the right for it after that but it disgusts me to even have to see it for 2 sec)

Thanks.
Is this a solution for you?

or

run -> sysdm.cpl ,3
(you can choose 1 to 5 numbers for the right tab)

Last edited:
So, here's an interesting update. My tower has been unused for a week (the one that refuses to give up on the PIN). I log in using the PIN and immediately run my updates (GPU, Windows, etc). After reboot, the password has become the default method of log in. So, now I have no idea if something changed, or if an update fixed a bug. Who knows. I've mucked with this system so much, that it's going to get wiped and reloaded, now that I've fixed my ASUS NIC issue.

Back