Windows May update 21H1

https://www.windowscentral.com/next-windows-10-feature-update-will-arrive-may-microsoft-confirms

Coming out soon some ui improvement with the top task bar not sure what else.
Suspected release day is towards the end of May 2021.
I'm also curious what "ui improvement with the top task bar" means? Do you mean when using the Taskbar pinned to the top of the display (Mac OS style) instead of the bottom? 'cause I do that and would welcome some improvements to how that's handled...

taskbar pinned to the top of the display (Mac OS style) instead of the bottom? 'cause I do that
thats weird... ;)
im not sure what he means but i think its about the taskbar widget.

1620342817550.png

1620342855164.png

such a minor release...no need to make it an official Feature update
yeah thats what it says. if i remember right, MS said the spring release will be fixes and the fall release will be the big update

You go beta testers, go go go.

I'll try out 20H2 sometime this October probably.....maybe.

Then when you all get most of the bugs worked out of this hot grabage, maybe I'll try it next year.

You go beta testers, go go go.

I'll try out 20H2 sometime this October probably.....maybe.

Then when you all get most of the bugs worked out of this hot grabage, maybe I'll try it next year.
been on beta/insider since XP. youre welcome ;)
ps: 20h2 works fine, its on everything at my work and no issues.

I updated to 20H2 about 2 weeks ago. Everything's been running smoothly. (y)

There isn't anything to look forward to in this update.
there isn't anything to look forward to in THESE updates.

most of the time i cross my fingers and hope everything that worked before the update still works after. This sentiment is NOT confined to MS.

20H2 did not break anything too major, hopefully 21H1 is similar.

thats because its just the "fixer" update. the big one is in the fall.
Meaning, it's good to start using right away on non-critical systems with the intent of rolling the critical systems to it as soon as possible.

sure? crit systems should be 6-12 month behind.
No reason to wait that long for a desktop OS. Even our servers get updated for non-prod...a month goes by....we approve the same updates for Prod. We have developers who test and proper test environments.

No reason to wait that long for a desktop OS. Even our servers get updated for non-prod...a month goes by....we approve the same updates for Prod. We have developers who test and proper test environments.
no not for normal desktop. all our work desktops stay updated but server system are left behind for 6mth, i think...

Sometimes there is "randomness" though. You can think that all your well managed desktops behave the same, then there's those "few". And depending who those few are, it could get really ugly. With that said, usually doesn't matter how long you wait, for them, it's going be a BSOD time period, or this or than no longer work, etc., usually resulting in a redeployment of some kind. I know, I know... Windows admin 101 stuff....

I would be deeply concerned if there wasn't randomness. We have 300 laptops and 450 servers. Randomness is the name of the game, to the point where oddities become the norm. If things always worked as expected, I think I'd be concerned about my future relevance!

There isn't anything to look forward to in this update.
Since Win10 has gone more "rolling release-ish" many feature updates are going to be small. Not only does time not really allow for drastic changes, but customers aren't crazy about massive changes all the time either. Stuff like the rumored major UI overhaul are being worked on in parallel to the regular OS updates and will converge when they are ready. In the meantime they are doing under-the-hood changes, stuff people won't even notice.

Some people expect Windows to be a completely different OS every few months. That's not realistic or sane.

Since Win10 has gone more "rolling release-ish" many feature updates are going to be small. Not only does time not really allow for drastic changes, but customers aren't crazy about massive changes all the time either. Stuff like the rumored major UI overhaul are being worked on in parallel to the regular OS updates and will converge when they are ready. In the meantime they are doing under-the-hood changes, stuff people won't even notice.

Some people expect Windows to be a completely different OS every few months. That's not realistic or sane.
But with that said, we don't expect the "little change" updates to take half a day. Doesn't it make you wonder?

Finally upgraded from 2004 to 20H2/2009 last weekend and haven't had a single issue thus far....

- I won't be one of the first to hop on the 21H1 train though.. That's for sure

But with that said, we don't expect the "little change" updates to take half a day. Doesn't it make you wonder?
There's more under the hood stuff happening. Like few people are not too aware, but they made some noticeable changes to how Bitlocker works in the last few weeks, enough that some third-party tools that interact with Bitlocker has some issues. Most home users won't even notice stuff like that. More people noticed the changes to the printer subsystem.

There's more under the hood stuff happening. Like few people are not too aware, but they made some noticeable changes to how Bitlocker works in the last few weeks, enough that some third-party tools that interact with Bitlocker has some issues. Most home users won't even notice stuff like that. More people noticed the changes to the printer subsystem.
My point is that the "H" updates aren't "little change" things. And as you pointed out, can make your day absolutely miserable.

systems at work(student laptops) started getting this update today. took less than 5 minutes to update via windows update on one unit. another wasnt seeing it in windows update so i d/l'd the installer and ran that, took 30-45 minutes....
not seeing any changes, no weather/news widget, but it might be because theyre on 10Edu idk...

Just got this update and the installation didn't take too long. In previous latest releases, it would normally take at least 25 minutes or longer. No issues so far after gaming.

been on beta/insider since XP. youre welcome ;)
ps: 20h2 works fine, its on everything at my work and no issues.

It's been the worst Win 10 release (20H2) as far as I'm concerned. I've been dealing with issues ever since we deployed it. It's finally gotten fairly stable. I can't remember a release being so buggy and we waited over 3 months to deploy it. Your mileage and experience varies is my point.

Last edited:
It's been the worst Win 10 release as far as I'm concerned. I've been dealing with issues ever since we deployed it. It's finally gotten fairly stable. I can't remember a release being so buggy and we waited over 3 months to deploy it. Your mileage and experience varies is my point.
Are you referring to 21H1 or 20H2? This thread is about 21H1 which was released yesterday. I waited to install 20H1 and finally did it this February and experienced no issues with it. I know many folks did have problems.

Just got this update and the installation didn't take too long. In previous latest releases, it would normally take at least 25 minutes or longer. No issues so far after gaming.
It's one of those updates that has been slowly rolling out as additional "idle" code in monthly updates, which is all turned on through a small enablement package. This is not the first time they've done it this way.

Are you referring to 21H1 or 20H2? This thread is about 21H1 which was released yesterday.

Sorry, updated post and meant 20H2 and as a reply to his ps: part of the post.

Anything that fixes 20H2 is good in my book!

Your mileage and experience varies is my point.
true. got third party software on them? ours only have office, adobe cc, cisco amp, web based browser "apps" and thats about it. zero issues.

Are you referring to 21H1 or 20H2? This thread is about 21H1 which was released yesterday.
he was just countering my ps to someone else. its a little early for 21h1 comments like that.

true. got third party software on them? ours only have office, adobe cc, cisco amp, web based browser "apps" and thats about it. zero issues.

he was just countering my ps to someone else. its a little early for 21h1 comments like that.

Well if you have minimum resources on your workstations I'd imagine you may have a better experience. :D

I work for an ISP/IPTV company and our employees treat the workstations like cheap rental cars for a weekend party trip.

Well if you have minimum resources on your workstations I'd imagine you may have a better experience. :D

I work for an ISP/IPTV company and our employees treat the workstations like cheap rental cars for a weekend party trip.
the windows system are pretty streamlined. the more crap loaded, the more likely to have issues. n
ow the teachers macbooks, yeah those are abused, hard, but thats another thread.....

Upgraded to 20H2 couple days ago. After numerous issues with sound crackling on my headset I went back to 1909. My yeti sounded terrible too.

Upgraded to 20H2 couple days ago. After numerous issues with sound crackling on my headset I went back to 1909. My yeti sounded terrible too.
did it update the drivers and undo them when you rolled back? have you tried 21h1, which this thread is about?

I also upgraded a few days ago, and my shared printer, a Laserjet P2055d no longer worked with the other pc's. I was only able to print locally on my desktop pc. After fighting the issue for hours, the fix was to delete the printer, reboot, and I reconnected the USB connector and downloaded new drivers. You would think that it would have done that during the update. I was so much happier with 1909 which worked perfectly.

did it update the drivers and undo them when you rolled back? have you tried 21h1, which this thread is about?
I uninstalled all drivers pertaining to sound and reinstalled and still crackling. Others were talking about 20H2 too. Sorry :(

Going to update all my USB drives today!
I guess it's updated with the Media creation tool someone said on the Windows Ten forums.

Back