Windows made my C drive an F drive.

Zed

Supreme [H]ardness
I just reinstalled Windows on a 120gb Western Digital drive, and I've got another one in there as a secondary. When Windows booted up for the first time I looked into My Computer and saw that what should be my C drive is F:, and there's no C:. The other 120gb is E, and my optical drives were D and G. Of course, I can't change F to C because Windows is installed on it.

First, what the hell?

Second, is there an easy way to fix it? I tried running a repair on Windows and it found the previous installation in C:\WINDOWS so I'm not sure reinstalling will really fix it.

1) What happened was you installed XP when other valid partitions existed, and you zipped through the partitioning screens without paying attention to what letter it was assigning.

2) Some claim software like Partition Magic can change the drive letter, but in my experience, it won't work, because too many system changes would need to be made in the registry, application's .ini files, etc. Your best bet is to start over, and pay attention during the install screens.

Changing the drive letter are easy. MY system made my switched the letters of my E and D drives. Heres how to fix...

1. Right click on My Computer
2. Select Manage
3. Click Disc Management on the menu
4. Right click on your drive you want to change and choose change letter

One thing to remember is you have to change one of the ones you have to change to a completely different number first because if you didn't, you would have to have let's say two D drives which it won't let you do.

Report back with update please...

Problem with that is that it's the system partition and will hose the install. I'm not sure if diskmanagement will even let you change the system drive letter. As said above, PM is supposed to be able to do this, but I would just reinstall.

odoe said:
Problem with that is that it's the system partition and will hose the install. I'm not sure if diskmanagement will even let you change the system drive letter.
Indeed, it won't let you change the system partition's letter.

odoe said:
but I would just reinstall.
I'd do the same, especially since it's a recent install and there's not much to lose.

Back