Windows Live Messenger Lite/alternatives?

86 5.0L

Supreme [H]ardness
basically I want to keep all the extra crap it installs off, be it with a better/slimmer program or someway to kepp it from installing 3-4 more programs

I've been using http://www.miranda-im.org for a while now. I like it. Minimal interface (with nice/custom icons), and expandable by plugins if the default settings are too minimal for you. It supports quite a few IM protocols (not just MSN).

With an 8 day uptime (gogo XP!) Mirdana IM is using 1.9mb of ram too, not too shabby if you ask me. It barely goes up even if I have half a dozen IM windows open.

Skype now has webcam support ... and AFAIK Meebo.com has webcam support and the ability to log into Live accounts.

no, at least none that i can find. if anyone does locate one let us know please.

Trillian Pro does AFAIK. You have to pay for it.

You're better off just staying with Live Messenger IMO. Just shut off all the adverts, tabs, Favorites, and MOTD, and it's just fine. You can resize one chat window, close it, and all chat windows in the future will remain small until you change it again.

It's not all that bloated as people make it out to be. Their webcam chat capability is second to none in my experience. Smooth, clean and fast.

Just get the Messpatch (Google it) and you can remove all the bloat, crap that nobody wants including the text ads.

^^ you can turn it off now in the new messenger, except i beleive those ad's at the bottom.

its not just the ads, im talking about all those extra programs in the programs list, the sign in assist, etc

its not just the ads, im talking about all those extra programs in the programs list, the sign in assist, etc

You don't have to install anything except Windows Live, you can deselect it. All the crap (tabs, ads, etc) inside Messenger can be removed with MessPatch.

yup, when you install MSN it installs live installer and messenger, to which live installer you can remove after.

Back