Windows/Linux reading Partitions.

abudhu

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey, quick, hopefully simple question.

Linux can SEE/Read All of my NTFS partions. It also allows me to COPY and paste files to my linux partition.

However, Windows loves to be elitist in the OS world. So my question is, is there any 3rd Party software or any conventional way to get Windows XP Professional to detect/read the Linux partion? I beleive I formated it as REISER

It is possible there is pay software to read the partitions, but I wouldn't know of them. There is a free software project called ext2fsd that allows you to read ext2 partitions in windows though. They want to add support for ext3 and reiser but i'm guessing it will be awhile. Looks like you're out of luck.

ext2fsd can read ext3 but not write, same limitations as NTFS in Linux.

But for reiserfs your out of luck.

ext3 == ext2 + journaling. You should be able to at least have read access to ext3 if whatever you're using can access via ext2.

You can write ext3 as ext2 as well, but the journal won't be updated, and Im sure you see the possible problem with that. This is actually common in other OSs that don't support the journal part of ext2, like when I was using FreeBSD, I shared my home which was ext3. FreeBSD read and wrote to it fine, but since the journal wasn't updated, it would have had the same problem with ext2 if something bad (power failure) happend. Once I rebooted into Linux though, their weren't any corrupted files that I edited with FreeBSD.

Back