Windows keeps loosing my network connection

Komataguri

2[H]4U
I didn't know where to put this, OS's or Networking..so if its wrong, Sorry.

Anyways.

This is starting to piss me off, for the past 2 days windows randomly [ Not so random, happens after the computer is left alone for a prolonged period..over an hour ]

When I come back to the PC, Windows can't connect to anything. I can't ping anything. I can't even ping or access my router and the only thing that will fix it is rebooting my PC.

Reinstalled the Via ethernet drivers, Rebuilt the connection, Made sure all the connections were firmly seated.

I don't know whats going on, Only happens when the PC is idle... so I don't know what the hells going on.

forum says doh-nut posted, but it dosn't view...and doh-nuts " view all posts " link in his profile won't work either..

Did this cause a bug?

He asked if you'd checked for viruses or spyware lately.

Right off the top of my head I'd look at the cables and then check to see if you're running DHCP. If you are leasing an address, look and see how long the lease is for. Also check to see if there is an issue with your switch's MAC address table/ARP cache.

When your system is running correctly take some notes of your system's ARP cache, then compare it to when its not working. Have you ever tried flushing the ARP cache when it was broke? Its possible, however unlikely, that someone is poisoning the ARP cache of your system preventing it from figuring out where the gateway is preventing you from getting to any other systems or the internet.

How are your power-saving settings configured? Maybe your ethernet is going to sleep and not waking up?

Its a fresh install.

No spyware, no Virii.

Cat5e is all firmly seated like I said, DCHP is enabled, Never bother with ARP.

I doubt anyone would be fooling with my connection, inside or outside of the network.

and I do not have any power saving settings on, My computer does not go into hibernate or standby.. So the ethernet should not be turning off?

Maybe it was a fluke, Left the computer alone all night and network connection is still fine this morning.

Go to Control Panel --> Network Connections

Open properties for LAN connection.

Under General Tab up @ the top click on "Configure" next to your NIC

This will open up a new window. Towards the far right, you should see a tab labeled power management.

Optrions are:

Allow computer to turn off this device to save power
Allow this device to bring computer out of standby

I'd uncheck the first one if its checked and see if that makes a difference.

Have you tried a different cable or tried swapping the port on the switch/router you are plugged into?

UNchecking that was one of the first things I did when I reinstalled the OS ;)

No,I din't try another cable...because this is the only one I have.

But like I said before, It must have been a fluke of some kind...cause its running fine now. Hasn't dropped the connection to the router since I posted the topic.

Strange...I think it knows I'm talking about her, maybe :)

Alright.

It did it again, this time during a round of Medieval Total War. Was connected before started playing, after I stopped playing I was no longer able to connect.

How do I flush the ARP cache? Normally I just go to network connections and tell windows to repair.

Try another cable!

Cables can/do go bad.......

Start-->Run-->CMD

ipconfig /flushdns

arp -a

arp /? for other switches...

mogman42 said:
Try another cable!

Cables can/do go bad.......

Start-->Run-->CMD

ipconfig /flushdns

arp -a

arp /? for other switches...

I don't have another cable.

flushed the ARP, released and renewed IP.

Didn't work.

HOWEVER, I noticed that BitTorrent continus to function despite the loss of connection. Just at a much diminished speed of a few Kb/s

That does not stop the fact that websites and outlook and IM services stop working.

Not trying to be mean, just trying to help you solve the problem.

When dealing with technology, sometimes you have to spend $ in order to fix the problem when replacing broken/defective equipment. Sad fact of life.....

Its beyond me why people post their problems and they are given potential solutions, then are not willing to go out and attempt to fix the issue.

Well if its not a hardware/software problem, then you are running out of culprits.

You didn't mention what you were plugged into for connectivity?

Switch, router, modem, etc?

Did you check for broken/bent/missing pins on your NIC? What about on the port you are connecting to on your switch/hub/router/modem?

The problem could lie with either your physical cable or perhaps a routing/timeout issue with your router or modem?

Router>Cable Modem>t3h Intarweb

I really don't think its cable, If it was cable why would ot start to work again after reboot? Why would it let certain signals through, but not others?

I can't believe I didn't think about siwtching what physical port I plugged teh cable in on the router, tho. :-\

are you using the onboard LAN? I had this EXACT problem with my dads onboard NIC port on his abit nf7-s, it turned out to be faulty. plugged in a $10 NIC, and everything worked well. i know you'd prefer not to spend money, but if you know someone that can let you borrow another NIC(or a cable) just to see, it could at least rule it out.

it was a brand new motherboard as well. while I got the same board near the same time and my NIC port has been fine.

Komataguri said:
I didn't know where to put this, OS's or Networking..so if its wrong, Sorry.

Anyways.

This is starting to piss me off, for the past 2 days windows randomly [ Not so random, happens after the computer is left alone for a prolonged period..over an hour ]

When I come back to the PC, Windows can't connect to anything. I can't ping anything. I can't even ping or access my router and the only thing that will fix it is rebooting my PC.

Reinstalled the Via ethernet drivers, Rebuilt the connection, Made sure all the connections were firmly seated.

I don't know whats going on, Only happens when the PC is idle... so I don't know what the hells going on.

My parents had this same problem with Cox Communications. I did some searching on newsgroups via google and found out that I needed to clone the MAC address of my computer so that the ISP thought the router was my computer. Hope this helps.

satriani5902 said:
My parents had this same problem with Cox Communications. I did some searching on newsgroups via google and found out that I needed to clone the MAC address of my computer so that the ISP thought the router was my computer. Hope this helps.

Roadrunner dosn't require that, They're the ones that gave me the router in the first place even.

after some playing around, I think it may have been the drivers. I uninstalled them and went back to an older version, I havn't had issues as of *yet*

I also switched ports on my router.

and I have zone alarm installed, but I have the connection issue with or without it running.

Alright.

I hit it with a shotgun.

Rebooted Modem, Rebooted Router, Took the Cat5E and flipped it over [ PC end now connected to router, router end now in PC ], Flushed DNS, Released and renewed IP, Disabled and Reenabled the network card, re-reninstalled the Rhine II ethernet drivers, and made a blood sacrifice to the voodoo gods.

And now I'm back, connected, without having to reboot.

I just wanna givea big thanks to you guys for giving me your time and help, I think she's fixed for good now. :D

Back