Windows Keeps Getting Locked Up While Starting DVD.

Nobi125

[H]ard|Gawd
I've been having this extremely annoying problem lately where my computer will almost freeze up completely when I start to play a DVD disc or DVD files stored on the hard drive.

The two programs I'm using are VLC media player and PowerDVD. It seems like it happens about half the time when I try to get a movie going. The video will start playing for a couple seconds, then the program will stop responding.

Only simple programs like Paint will work after this happens. Programs like Firefox will open but not work properly (ie. will not get to a webpage).

One of my CPU cores is maxed out, as demonstrated by the screenshot of the task manager below.

A process called "System" shows up and is maxing out one CPU core. I am unable to stop this process or the process of the program I used to play the DVD (although the DVD software doesn't appear to be using the CPU),

If I try to shutdown the computer, it won't do anything. I have to hard power it off.

Screenshot:

performancetabha6.png

Does anybody have any idea what could be causing this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It just did it again, but after I was finished watching the movie and had already closed Power DVD.

Codec pack? Without more details--i.e system specs, programs, etc.-- I can't say for sure.

Codec pack? Without more details--i.e system specs, programs, etc.-- I can't say for sure.

It's not a codec since it doesn't always happen, sometimes it just works fine.

System specs are listed in my sig.

When I get home, I'll try to replicate the issue and get a screenshot of all the processes running, I had one but didn't scroll down far enough to see the "System" process so I removed it.

You're processes tab will give you the filename.

It just said "System"

I'm not sure if there's another place on the process tab to check to see if it's actually something else like a virus with a fake name.

You're looking at the username. You should be looking under the image name category.

Back