Windows: Is there a way to reset the network without restarting?

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
I have been running into an issue where the speeds of my Windows shares will degrade after my router is rebooted or my IP changes. No idea why that is, but resetting the network by restarting the OS fixes it. Is there a way to do this without rebooting the system, though?

unplug the cable or disable/enable the network adapter itself... Or just run the network diagnostics, and it will do the same thing.

Megalith - I'm curious for an update on this... did you come up with a solution? Because, it's not entirely clear what your specific issue is and what actually resolves it.

I ended up creating a BAT file that disables and enables the network adapter, as suggested. The solution was obvious, but I didn't try it at first since that never worked with another network issue I had in the past where my Intel adapter would crash and the only way to revive it was to reboot.

I had to make a batch file so I could reset the network through a remote desktop connection (interestingly, it doesn't kill the connection outright and seems to only freeze it momentarily).

I had to make a batch file so I could reset the network through a remote desktop connection (interestingly, it doesn't kill the connection outright and seems to only freeze it momentarily).

Yea, that's because RDP automatically attempts to reconnect when you become disconnected, rather than a user terminating the session.

Thanks for the update.

Back