"Windows is starting up" Screen hangs

Jap1987

Limp Gawd
When i start my computer it will hang at the Screen mentioned for like 2 1/2 minutes it is very annoying and I couldnt find any help for my specific problem. I have already tried these steps.
1. running spyware cleaners
2. turning off network sharing
3. clearing my msconfig of all startup programs

could try finding a copy of BootVis to show you what process is taken the longest to startup. Might point to some corrupted/missing files

What is in your system logs

What kind of network are you on, and is it DHCP, or do you have a hard-coded address?

i've seen this stuff happen before. 9 times out of 10, it's a driver issue. can you please post your hardware and which driver versions you're using? it'd help greatly in figuring out what's going on.

DHCP failure can cause it to hesitate on startup. See if assigning a static address makes it boot faster.

Also, turn off network booting in the BIOS, and disable any unused IDE channels, RAID channels, and the floppy seek. If they're not turned on, the computer won't waste time looking for them.

could you find a picture on the web for clarification. from what it sounds like you may have some sort of hardware hang, i want to know what screen as it could be worth running a hdd test. try dft if you cant isolate it by bootvis, but if your screen is black and white or looks like this im going to say its a hardware issue and you wont find a thing with bootvis

Downloaded and installed Bootvis but I have not had a chance to play with it. I do have a question though I notice that the option for Plug and Play OS is set to Yes on the A8N as far as I remember. I think setting this to No and letting the POST set IRQs might be helpful unless this is not an IRQ conflict.

My mom's laptop is having the same trouble: It hangs at the blue Windows screen(normally appears after logging in). It'll hang there indefinitely and never load Windows. I let it sit for about an hour and a half and it still didn't go into Windows.

I'd like to get all of her files off so I can format and reinstall Windows, but to do that I'd have to be in Windows. :/

This problem only happens about 1 in 10 boots. Probably around once a week. I am willing to bet it is a driver issue.

Hinokagutsuchi said:
My mom's laptop is having the same trouble: It hangs at the blue Windows screen(normally appears after logging in). It'll hang there indefinitely and never load Windows. I let it sit for about an hour and a half and it still didn't go into Windows.

I'd like to get all of her files off so I can format and reinstall Windows, but to do that I'd have to be in Windows. :/

Have you tried safemode?

I've tried everything on the menu that F8 brings up. None of it works.

It's like the computer is trying to load a driver and being unable to.

Try stopping the WIA (Windows Image Acquisition) service. To do so, follow these steps:

1. Start
2. Run
3. Services.msc
4. Double-click WIA and set it to Manual instead of Automatic
5. Reboot

Now, hopefully this will fix your problem. I had Windows XP just hang at the welcome screen as well, and doing the above solved my problem. Why this happened, I don't know...but I'm glad my system now boots correctly (ironically, the only time this ever happened was on a system that needed to be formatted because it was starting to act up)...just something I've noticed anyhow.

Good luck.

_Durandal_ said:
Try stopping the WIA (Windows Image Acquisition) service. To do so, follow these steps:

1. Start
2. Run
3. Services.msc
4. Double-click WIA and set it to Manual instead of Automatic
5. Reboot

Now, hopefully this will fix your problem. I had Windows XP just hang at the welcome screen as well, and doing the above solved my problem. Why this happened, I don't know...but I'm glad my system now boots correctly (ironically, the only time this ever happened was on a system that needed to be formatted because it was starting to act up)...just something I've noticed anyhow.

Good luck.

Did this step and it still hangs. I also ran Bootvis and it reports nothing under driver delays although it booted fine with a ran a Trace boot with Bootvis. I am pretty sure this has to be driver related though. Just do not know which driver it could be.

did you guys just jack this thread from jap, what is the status of this issue

Back